Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2002 6:27:06 AM EDT
Got a PWA lower receiver I've got together except for this:

hole in front of rec for helical spring and detent is very short-about 1 1/2 cm. Far to short for spring. Any ideas??

Second problem is the detent pin is now wedged in hole and I can't get it out. Don't ask!

Thanks in advance for the advice. This is basically the last step...HELP!
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you force the detent pin into the hole, or merely push it easily?

Hold the rx pin down, and rap it on the bottom of the mag well with the plastic handle of a screwdriver.  That might shake it down enough to grab it with pliers.

Or one of those great "rare earth" magnets:

http://www.wondermagnet.com/dev/main.shtml

Check out Item #37.  Be careful with this one, don't wear your watch, and handle it away from the workbench.  It will suck tools at you, and can cause injury.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't really push it in at all but it sure as hell ain't coming out easily. Been trying to find a strong magnet but I live in a fairly remote area and finding anything out of the ordinary isn't easy.
Free man, your magnet link seems excellent but for many of them they do not specify strength. Any experience with these?

What should I do about the hole? Anyone? I'm a little reluctant to drill it out but that would seem to be the only answer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Hold the Rx vertially against a speaker magnet, preferably a big musical instrument speaker.  Rap the Rx well with the screwdriver handle.  That will shake it up without marring it.

You might also hold the plastic tube from a can of WD40 or whatever, or use compressed air, against the weephole, and press the button.  Maybe the pressure from the inside might push it out.  

Once you do get it out, run the proper sized bit down the hole.  My lower Rx drawings show the hole to be .097", and 1.25" deep.  You should do this with a "pin vise" by hand if possible.  If not, a Dremel tool on slow.  Spray a solvent or something down it with a plastic tube tip to clean the hole out.  Make sure you clean out the "weep hole" on the side afterward, too.

This is not a critical hole, as far as getting the size perfect.  All you need is for the spring and detent to work freely in it.

I would not worry about hurting the Rx by drilling out, I would worry first about getting the detent out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear ya, Free Man. Thanks.

There is no weep hole...its a preban Rx, SN 27xxx. If there were I'm sure I would've gotten it out by now--I think!
I'm going to try to heat up the rx a little and then use the magnet on it, etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Heat, not a bad idea... I forgot about this.  To remove steel ball bearings from aluminum model airplane engine crankcases, I heat the crankcase to 300 F in the oven, then rap it on a piece of wood.  Bearing pops right out.  300 F will not hurt the aluminum in any way.

Just might work for you.

The magnet Item #37 is very powerful.  Some use that one, along with large steel balls, to remove dents from brass musical instruments.  The balls (1.5" and larger) are placed inside the instrument, and by rolling the ball around with the magnet on the outside, it irons out the dent.  So, I would say that is a fairly strong magnet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
drjarhead
I rebuilt a preban pwa a couple years ago.  The original owner had cut the detent spring to make it work in a short detent hole.  The hole was half full of what appeared to be sandblasting grit.  It cleaned out easily by turning a drill bit by hand.  I believe it was 1" deep after it was cleaned out.  The standard spring and detent worked after that.

It had been that way for over 10 years!

As for getting the pin out...  I'd warm up the receiver and tap it on a block of wood with the detent hole facing down.  The heat should soften any old grease or oil that might be hanging on to it as well as expand the aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
drjarhead
I rebuilt a preban pwa a couple years ago.  The original owner had cut the detent spring to make it work in a short detent hole.  The hole was half full of what appeared to be sandblasting grit.  It cleaned out easily by turning a drill bit by hand.  I believe it was 1" deep after it was cleaned out.  The standard spring and detent worked after that.

It had been that way for over 10 years!

As for getting the pin out...  I'd warm up the receiver and tap it on a block of wood with the detent hole facing down.  The heat should soften any old grease or oil that might be hanging on to it as well as expand the aluminum receiver.

Sounds same as mine.
I've tried heating it up, magnet, etc. Damn thing won't budge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
hmmm...
How far is the detent in the hole?

How about a wooden toothpick with something sticky on the end?

Have you tried a can of "Dust Off" with a thin plastic tube to blow into the hole.  It might shake it around and loosen something up.  I'd alternatly blow and tap the reciever on a block of wood.

I wonder if an ultrasonic cleaner would get it to vibrate out?  I'd put the reciever in the tank with the detent hole facing down.  At least it would clean out the oil and grease that might be in there.

Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Finally got it together and looks awesome.

Oldguy, your dustoff idea made a light bulb blink and I shot some gunscrubber in there. About 50-100 tugs with a small allen wrench on a magnet and out it slid.

Lots of grit in there and I "drilled" it out as rec by others.

Thanks for the input, Free Man and Old guy. Much, much appreciated guys. I'll gladly return the favor to both of you if I can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
drjarhead
Good idea with the allen wrench/magnet.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  It helps us all learn a little.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
drjarhead
Good idea with the allen wrench/magnet.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  It helps us all learn a little.

Yeah, it drives me crazy when we give people advice and no one tells us what the hell the problem and/or solution was. Usually you've got numerous people giving different diagnoses and different fixes. It'd be nice to know what happened.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top