Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 4:19:57 AM EDT
found some screamin deals at the gunshow this weekend including 20rd colt mags in 80% condition for $10 each. but the big find was an upper i didnt have enough money for. hopefully i can catch up with this guy this week and snatch it up.

he claimed it was an FN foriegn contract rifle for the maylasian military. it is a 20inch 1/9 pencil barrel with an A1 upper and A2 flash hider. teardrop FA and round A2 handguards. at first i thought it was a franken upper but the barrel, upper, and charging handle were all marked FNMI. and the best part was the price $450!!!!!

this is the only 20inch pencil barrel i have ever seen thats 1/9. imagine...20inch pencil barrel you can shoot SS109 in.  i hope like hell he still has it by the end of the week.

anyone ever seen one?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
D.Dog, was the barrel chrome lined ???
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]

I've seen a couple of barrels stamped FNMI in 1/7, but never in 1/9, and I've never seen their stamp on one of the older profile "pencil" barrels. I've never--ever--seen a charging handle stamped anything at all.

Sounds like a strange upper.... If it were me, I'd want to know more about it before buying it.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Stamping on the Charging Handle???  I have never seen anything stamped on a charging handle either.  Sounds like a "set up" but the guy your dealing with may or may not know.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
you have to wear hip waders, when you go to a gun show....the bullshit is so deep, you can barely walk sometimes. and that is excatly what that guy is shoveling in your direction.....BULLSHIT.

do yourself a favor and forget that upper, it's a obvious bullshit fake......probably a hesse upper that this green tooth gun dealer stamped FN on.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
$450 for a barrelled upper, and it didn't even include the bolt and carrier? Rip off city.

Bought a complete Colt A1 upper, 99% finish, with all parts for $325 last fall at the same Eastman show. Unless you can get FN to document this guy's claims, in writing, which might make it worth the extra bucks as a collector's item, I'd stay far, far away from it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
None of that makes any sense, since the following was confirmed via a VP at FNMI:

- FN is contractually prohibited from selling guns or parts made in their SC plant to anyone but DoD.  All of their AR parts are made in SC.

- FN, to my knowledge, has never made A1 uppers or 1:9 barrels.  They've been making the M16A2/A3 almost exclusively since they began AR production.

- Even if they did make such an upper, it's unlikely (at best) that it would have been given to DoD instead of being sent on to Maylasia, and that DoD would have surplussed it.

In other words, it seems much more likely that someone stamped "FNMI" into the parts than that this story is true.  Of course, I can't make any judgement about the quality of the parts themselves, but this story doesn't pass the "smell" test.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy,
 To qualify for the M16A2 contract FN had to do a trial run of M16A1 barrels for a proof of quality test. I don't believe they did any A1 uppers though, and the barrels were standard 1:12. I have seen one of these but have no idea how many they made.

Mack
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure we have a few of those barrels at work that Mack556 is talking about, but I never bothered to check out the markings on the upper receivers.  

I'll try to get some pics this week.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]
well the opinions of Troy and Shamayim are enough for me...thanks guys. but you got to admit the prospect of a 20inch chrome lined pencil barrel in 1/9 is pretty exciting  [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top