Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 10:41:04 AM EDT
Glen Zediker in the July ed. of "Guns Magazine" mentions that when " a metal tube (any tube) is made smaller on the outside, its inside grows." (p.20) Before you flame me for taking his comment out of context, rest assured I'm aware that he's speaking of turning barrels down for lighter weight (on a lathe).

I have a chrome lined bushie barrel that after being free-floated shoots incredibly well (better than i can hold). My problem is that the damn barrel (a HBAR) is huge under the handguards and weighs a ton.

Rather than turn the barrel down to save weight, could i have ADCO flute it for 120 bucks and not have concerns over changing the barrel's fine shooting characteristics? According to Zediker, putting it on a lathe is the worst thing to do---how about fluting it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 10:47:57 AM EDT by uglygun]
Uh, I could see giving a damn with ultra precise match barrels and taking off so much metal that there is some kind of distortion after going hog wild to make a sporter contour.

But I have gotta ask this simple question....

How do AR15 barrels get turned down from a blank, an SP1 profile skinny barrel just spends a bit more time on the lathe as opposed to a gov't. profile barrel.

Point is, it's not like the barrels are profiled first and then drilled and rifled.

I'll only buy into that opinion to a certain extent.

I would say that there is much more chance for something to go wrong with fluting a barrel and creating an uneven distance between flutes which could could cause strange resonance issues and perhaps strange behavior when the barrel heats up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:55:27 AM EDT
So...you'd prefer to turn down the barrel as opposed to having it fluted? I realize that ADCO isn't infallible, but is there a real possibility that they could screw up the fluting?

BTW: Zediker goes on to say "Ideally, a barrel will be turned to finished dimensions prior to rifling (cut rifling allows this, button does not)" (p.20)

I don't have this luxury, I've found a good barrel, but don't liek the weight. It's cheaper to lighten this one, but not at the risk of ruining it. Hence my question as to flute or have it turned down. I could buy a different barrel, but the good ones are expensive (you get what you pay for).
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:56:27 PM EDT
I would risk fluting it. Even if there is an accuracy degradation, it should be very slight. The other point about fluting vs turning the whole barrel down, fluting maintains rigidity since only small sections are removed. You won't save as much weight as turning the barrel down, but you can shave enough to notice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:58:49 PM EDT
If you do it, please let us know how it turns out! I've been considering the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:45:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Geohans:
If you do it, please let us know how it turns out! I've been considering the same thing.

Will do, but i'd like to know definitively before I take the plunge. Anybody know what the best solution is (considering my options...new barrel not being one of them)?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:58:40 AM EDT
You only have a chrome lined Bushy. Its not all that accurate to begin with. Flute away you will never notice.
Top Top