Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 2:14:00 PM EDT
I found a post for this on this site but couldn't reply because it was closed/archived.

The consensus is flip forward, but why?

Why not flip backward?

Or is it a matter of personal preference?

Thanks

mm

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:35:03 PM EDT
Its just engineering, and simple at that. If the rear sight were made so the aperture rose to the rear, it would take up more room to the front, where most likely an optical sight/scope would be installed, possibly causing a conflict. Probably also involves aperture sights and eye relief considerations too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:01:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its just engineering, and simple at that. If the rear sight were made so the aperture rose to the rear, it would take up more room to the front, where most likely an optical sight/scope would be installed, possibly causing a conflict. Probably also involves aperture sights and eye relief considerations too.
View Quote

All this, but it pretty much only applies to rear BUIS.  With the front BUIS, it really doesn't matter.  I've mounted front BUIS "backwards" in order to get a LAM scooted as far forward as possible.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:13:15 PM EDT
Space. On my HD rig folding the rear sight backwards I can mount it farther to the rear and the sight does not take up rail space on the upper. The front would not matter as much. As it takes up the same space either way without pushing it forward right over my muzzle (9" barrel with 8" rail). Right now it is mounted the same as my rear (flip to front) but if I switched it, it would put the sight deployment a little more easily accessible I think. And I think I'll try it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top