Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/5/2003 5:37:53 PM EDT
so, what is better the flatop or fixed handle the rifle is a 16' bushmaster fixed stock, what would you guys pick?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to swear I'd never have a reason to own an A3 flattop.  Very shortly I wont own any more A2 uppers.  The flat top opens a whole new world of optic possibilities.  Until you decide what you might want, you'll be completely satisfied with the carry handle attached.

Why discover this and have to buy a new reciever later?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Fixed carry handle is better because there are no bolt-on parts to loose.

Flat top is better because of the almost endless supply of bolt-on goodies.

In the long run, you'll get both! [}:D]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p8caa65857ce2e6787fe914a5b296ed7a/fbed9a76.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get the A3 because their are more options for optics.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The best thing you can do with a removable carry handle is to remove it and replace it with optics. The opening is too small for your thumb to fit through to use it to carry the weapon.

If iron sights are all you need then get the fixed carry handle. #1 it can't get lost and #2 you can actually hook your thumb through to carry by it. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to swear I'd never have a reason to own an A3 flattop.  Very shortly I wont own any more A2 uppers.  The flat top opens a whole new world of optic possibilities.  Until you decide what you might want, you'll be completely satisfied with the carry handle attached.

Why discover this and have to buy a new reciever later?
View Quote

I agree.

Back 5 years ago I thought of flattops as the "specialty rifle."  Now I think of fixed A2 carry handles as "specialty rifles" (i.e., lightweight durable iron sighted battle carbine/rifle).

My only fixed carry handle lower is in the second safe sans lower.  I plan to fix that once the Krime Bill dies.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
With a twist of a couple of screws you can convert a flat-top to a carry handle. For the reverse you'll need a hacksaw, file and a lot of elbow grease.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In the long run, you'll get both! [}:D]

View Quote

LOL, I completely agree about that....Personally, for a 16" I'd go with a flat-top....it wouldn't hurt, plus you can make it look real sweet and tactical if you feel like it...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to break down and get an A3 RRA to go with my A2 Bushy... [:)]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It's especially hard for me to get any kind of good grasp on a fixed handle while wearing tactical gloves...I have big hands -- and you know what they say about big hands...

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's especially hard for me to get any kind of good grasp on a fixed handle while wearing tactical gloves...I have big hands -- and you know what they say about big hands...

[:D]
View Quote

ummmm, big gloves? [;D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The only problem with a flat top, is that with the handle attached, you're adding almost 1/2 pound to the rifle compared to an A1 or A2.

So if ultimate light weight and iron sights is the answer, go with an A1 or A2. I say get both a flat top and a A1 or A2.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]
ummm M4...yes without the carrying handle you would save some weight but...you wouldn't have any sights to aim with.  And if you aid your Aimpoint or ACOG than you throw back on your 1/2 pound or so and (though either of the two are military rugged) the detachable carrying handle is a lot more resilient ie; no glass to break.

Either way, you're good to go!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ummm M4...yes without the carrying handle you would save some weight but...you wouldn't have any sights to aim with.  And if you aid your Aimpoint or ACOG than you throw back on your 1/2 pound or so and (though either of the two are military rugged) the detachable carrying handle is a lot more resilient ie; no glass to break.

Either way, you're good to go!
View Quote

BUIS-Back Up Iron Sites.
Don't even bother with the carry handle on an A3.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#14]
A3 all-the-way.

I consider my 20" BUSHMASTER A3 a very versatile rifle because of it. Leave the handle on it, and you've got a fair-to-middlin' fighting tool.

Drop on the ARMALITE scope mount with scope pre-zeroed, and you've got a nice varmint rig.

I don't see the point of a 16" barrel though - why not have the ballistic advantage of 4 more inches of barrel.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Go Flatop, more options.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't see the point of a 16" barrel though - why not have the ballistic advantage of 4 more inches of barrel.
View Quote

Some of us use them for indoor purposes, or at least see the possibility.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends what you plan do do with your rifle and how well you can see.
DCS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top