Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
i bought a lpk yesterday and ran into build problems last night.  so my problem is the rear screw that goes into the back of an A2 buttstock and into the tube.  i screw it in but it wont screw in all the way.  when i look at the screw, i think it has red loctite  on bottom portions of the threads.  any suggestion of how to get off red loctite off, or how to get this stubborn sdrew in?  thanks.

-jordan
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The loctite is a good thing. But you could remove it by scraping or by chasing the threads with a die. But again, the loctite is there for a reason. You should be able to thread this in with no problem, some resistance will be felt when you get to the loctite. Use a big enough screwdriver.

Do the below stuff first. Don't force anything until you first check the parts for damage

Okay, if that didn't work try taking off the stock and the buffer tube spacer. Visualize the screw and the hole. Are the threads stripped on the screw or the buffer tube hole? Now try to thread the screw into the hole in the end of the tube. Does it go in? Does it go in all the way?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
if it will start and go in several turns but just "not all the way" then the threads in the buffer tube are not stripped. i would suspect that you are running up against the loctite, and getting resistance. remove the loctite from the screw with a small wire brush if you dont have the correct die. once you get it all working replace the loctite you removed with a small drop of blue loctite.  red loctite is usually never a good thing on something you will eventually need to disassemble without a FPITA let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
no, neither the screw or the female end of the tube is stripped.  I can hand tighten it to get it started, but that red loctite is blocking the screw for in depth penetration.  arghhh this frekin screw just wont go in!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Just use a knife point to remove the loctite from down in the threads and then try again.

rj
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just use a knife point to remove the loctite from down in the threads and then try again.

rj

plus 1 that what I had to do
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

rj

thanks!  used an exacto knife to get that red loctite stuff off. took me quite awhile.  I finally finished my DSC lower.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top