Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 11:43:35 AM EDT
Please humor me,

If I recall correctly most, if not all, of my Adventure line 30 round AR mags have slight horizontal scratches on the sides. These scratches are usually on the top quarter of the mag and are slightly at an angle.

It's nothing more than cosmetic but I was wondering if anybody else noticed them? I've used the scratches to identify the correct body to the correct floor plate when I have purchased bulk mags in the past that had swapped floor plates in the batch. (IIRC, AL's 30 round welds are rather similar to Colt's)

It just seemed that AL's tooling allowed sheets of Aluminum (?) to contact and drag across a sharp edge in their tooling. Parson's may also have these "drag mark" scratches as far as I can guess. (I haven't had many Parsons)

Anybody else notice these, or am I just buying all the "abused" Aventure Line Mags on Earth?

Tia,

Sly
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't believe you got me off my ass to do this...

Parsons: I the markings are very noticable just like you described.

AL: On one side there is a pronounced Horiz. mark, however there is a "scar much further below so that could be a wear & tear scar as well. On the other side there are what appears to be similar markings, but very faint.

Okay, Labelle, Center: Nada

I buy all my USGIs (well) used, so this all assumes that the floorplates correspond with the bodies, but my observations support your statement.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks pulpsmack.

I figured if they all have it, or if most of them do, it can be rather handy when trying to decern whether the mags a person is buying/selling have the correct floor plates.

At the last fun show I picked up two mags out of 3.  The one mag had the Colt early # printed on it, but it had an AL floor plate.  The other had a Colt floor plate, but it had the scratches on the side.  so I bought em both and swapped the floor plates to ensure I had the correct pieces and parts for each mag.

"Lucky me" I thought.  Till I took a good look at the early Colt mag and found it was cracked at the back of the mouth... Oh well, stuff happens. At least I didn't have to refinish it.

Sly
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top