Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2002 8:12:37 AM EDT
I need some serious advice,  I can buy an essential arms bre-ban for $850.00  the lower is in 90% the upper well I will change everything.   The colt for  1499.00 is a pre-ban lightweight sporter in 90% with the famous block in the lower.  Which is the best buy for a shooter not a collector?  Thanx in advance  Shane                                                                                                          
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy the colt, and I'LL buy the essential!

Seriously, the essential is a very unique AR variant! Cool color, raised serial number and embelem,... NOT a run-of-the-mill AR!

My buddy here at work just picked one up. Wish I would've had the cash...
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The Colt would be astronomically easier to prove the pre-ban status of. I vote for it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
First - IMHO an Essential lower in 99%+ condition is worth a maximum of $850.  [b]If I was considering a just lower receiver[/b] At 90% I'd only pay $725 or less [b] so buy the EA and shoot the crap out of it, for that kind of money you can't go wrong[/b]

That being said, go with an EA, PWA or the like.  That way you can shoot the crap out of it and feel guilt free, cause if you bought the Colt you'd have to live with the "collectability" issue hanging over your head.  I personally don't feel that owning a "Colt" is worth the extra $$ unless you've got the money to blow.

X
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First - IMHO an Essential lower in 99%+ condition is worth a maximum of $850.  At 90% I'd only pay $725 or less.  

That being said, go with an EA, PWA or the like.  That way you can shoot the crap out of it and feel guilt free, cause if you bought the Colt you'd have to live with the "collectability" issue hanging over your head.  I personally don't feel that owning a "Colt" is worth the extra $$ unless you've got the money to blow.

X
View Quote

In what freaking world is a 99% EA preban rifle only worth $850?  Try around $1,000 and a 99% lower stripped going for $600-700 and built going for $750-850!

Price new ARs lately?  Postbans are going for $800 retail and flying off the shelfs!  Where do you come up with $850?  I happen to own two EA prebans, one an M4 clone and the other a CAR-15 config.  I could easily get $1250 for the CAR-15 as it is a Lauer refinished lower and a Bushy kit and at least $1250 for the M4.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
HiramRanger, it appears that in the first sentence of Xanadu's post that he is talking about a "lower" only. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HiramRanger, it appears that in the first sentence of Xanadu's post that he is talking about a "lower" only. [:D]
View Quote

I would like take the opportunitity to say that I was specifically posting my opinions about prices on the "lower" receiver, not the complete rifle.

I also want to say that I own 2 EA rifles and think as highly of them as does Mr. Ranger.

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If its going to be a shooter not a collector go with the cheapest one whatever the make and spend the rest on ammo ammo ammo ammo ammo.

I have owned ea bushy colt olympic pwa and eagle they all shoot just fine. Never had a ar yet that a little tweaking didnt fix.

Nuff said about this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
"I need some serious advice, I can buy an essential arms bre-ban for $850.00 the lower is in 90% the upper well I will change everything."

While not worded in the best manner possible, it appears to me he is referring to a complete rifle since he gave condition of both the upper and lower.

In my opinion $850 is great for a rifle, terribly high for a lower only in that condition.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"I need some serious advice, I can buy an essential arms bre-ban for $850.00 the lower is in 90% the upper well I will change everything."

While not worded in the best manner possible, it appears to me he is referring to a complete rifle since he gave condition of both the upper and lower.

In my opinion $850 is great for a rifle, terribly high for a lower only in that condition.
View Quote

I agree, and have re-worded my original post to reflect this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for the wording , thanx for the advice.  I just bought the EA and it is a whole rifle.  Now I hope my eagle arms doesnt get jealous!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Colt would be astronomically easier to prove the pre-ban status of. I vote for it.
View Quote

What are you talking about? Aren't ALL essential arms lowers preban? (Thats what happens when your company dies prior to 13 Sept 1994...) I think that makes them a little easier to verify than a colt...

Red truck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top