Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2003 7:55:43 AM EDT
What's the groups experience with eotech sites?  Is it worth the extra $ to get the more expensive models?  Am thinking about taking the plunge.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Read this review, it will help you understand the EOTech a bit further.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/eotech1.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Eotech 511 and love it. It's just a standard version, no night vision capabilities.

Some have complained about the battery life. [rolleyes]

I bought mine in January?? somewhere in there, anyway I still have the original batteries in it.

I go shooting all the time and every time I'm at the range I leave it on the whole time I'm there. In face my shooting partner commented on that fact the last time we were shooting.

I don't think it's worth it unless you actually use NV, or if you have to have extended battery life.

The new buttons on the newer models are a little more user friendly especially if you wear gloves alot. They are rubber coated. Easier to engage.

JMHO
YMMV

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered my Bushmaster M4/A3.  I also ordered an EOTech 512 for it.  I went with the AA version for 2 reasons.  1) the AA battery life is many times longer than the standard, and 2) AA batteries are readily available and cheaper.  
I didn't go with the 552 (with NVG capability) because, even though I am a LEO, I won't be using NVG's with it.  The only difference between the 511/512 and the 551/552 is the NVG option and the buttons are different on the back.  The 550's also are water tight to a deeper depth if you plan on scuba diving with it.
After much research on both the EOTech and Aimpoint, I found both to be very good products and personal preference plays a big part in making the decision.  The ACOG's are nice, but just too damn expensive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you use the NV feature?  Goggles?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes on the NV feature..goggles.  It is not a night sight in itself so to speak.  I love my EOTECH 551.  As for the older push buttons.  They are a bit more difficult to manipulate.  The newer buttons are better.

I glued some small black erasers to the (flush) older style on/off/NV switches of my 551 with a crazy glue type product.  Now they are easy to hit and it just raises the buttons enough to get too easier without &$%# the sight up or making it look/function different.  I made sure the glue was not a reactant with plastics of course!

SMGLee's review is excellent by the way.  In fact I talked to him about the sight when looking at getting mine.  It's been about a year and I have not had to change batteries even though I shoot at least twice a week on my farm.  I have the smaller version with the less batt capacity BTW.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Horik.

You will not go wrong with the EOTech, it is probably the best CQB optic on the market.  if you don't use NV, you can save some money by getting hte 510 series, but you will not get the rubberized buttons.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the comments.  I don't have NV so that isn't a fearure I really need.  Also, while the better seals on the more expensive models are nice, as one of you observed, will not be taking my AR15 scuba diving with me.  Put my order in for the less expensive model at SWFA yesterday.  Should arrive by end of the week.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to take a look through the thread I started, I got incredible feedback from these guys.

In the end, I really think you're not going to know if you like it until you try it, and by try, I mean learn it and put it through it's paces.

I went with the more expensive model, because I'm on a spending spree (you have to do that once in a while), but I think you're going to be real happy.  

Also, I don't personally own NVG's.  But one of our Agent's lost a third generation set in the desert, and everybody gave up and quit looking for them.

Almost everybody.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top