Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:54 PM EDT
i just broke my gun in and after shooting 500 rounds through the gun, i went to go do a inspection and deep cleaning on my rifle. After lubing and cleaning nessary parts, i realized that my elevation knob wont turn a single click at all. I used to be able to turn it. Its stuck at the 8/3 line and ive zeroed it in already. Has anybody ever had this problem?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Check to see if the 1/16 inch setscrew in the bottom part of sight assembly is loose. This is accessible through the top of the sight through a small 'tunnel'. Use a long 1/16 inch allen type wrench.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks. i used a small allen wrench and fixed the problem, it was the small Rear Sight Elevation Index Screw that was loose. Does all Ar15-A2 have this problem? I mean after shooting more than 400 rounds through the gun, will the Rear Sight Elevation Index Screw automatically be loose? anyways, thanks for you guys help.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
What you had happen is not common.  Some one just did not tighten it down enough at the factory.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Plinkereye use some blue loc-tite and it will not come loose again. The factory generally uses the loc-tite. I guess they forgot to do so on yours. Take care.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks, ill do that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
none of my colt or bushmasters had any traces of loc-tite on them when i removed them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW where can i get loctite? home depot or Lowes carry it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would try a chain type hardware store such as Ace, etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks. i used a small allen wrench and fixed the problem, it was the small Rear Sight Elevation Index Screw that was loose.

Did you make sure to index it correctly?

If not, run it all the way down. Then give it two clicks back up. Loosen the screw that you just fixed. Turn the dial until 8/3 aligns with the indexing mark, and retighten the small screw.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
well, it was already at 8/3 where i zeroed the sights in when it got stuck. i just tighten the screw  all the way down. havent shot my rifle since then though, we'll see what happends.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well, it was already at 8/3 where i zeroed the sights in when it got stuck. .

Some of you guys have way better luck then me,

I have to play the rear up two clicks, then try to adjust the  front sight, only to find out that I'm in between clicks on the front, and have to change to three clicks up on the rear, then back to the front sight to get the rifle correctly point zeroe'd.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top