Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 9:20:57 PM EDT
I have shot many rounds through my ar, and now the disconector is getting really worn, and looks like it might be cracking. so, i got a new disconector at the gun show today, and the diagram. and i think i can do it myself. i have never taken the trigger group apart on my gun. it cant be any harder than having to totally rebuild my old marlin 22 after all the springs jumped away? i just dont want it to decide to go full auto on me a gov run shooting range. thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/hammer.gif[/img]

The first thing after you have removed the lower from the upper is to remove the hammer.  There is a J Pin inside the hammer, so you will need to drift the pin out.  Remember to hold the hammer stationary to prevent the pin from obliging the receiver holes  as you remove the pin.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/trigger.gif[/img]

Once the hammer is removed, the trigger pin will slide out (hammer spring leg holds the trigger pin in).  Since all you are replacing is the disco, you only need to drift the trigger pin half way, pull the old disco, and then install the new.

Once the new Disco is in, function test it to make sure that the gap between the hammer and disco is correct, Hammer does not fall on trigger release, and that the hammer is not jarred form the disco as the carrier slams home.

[B]Doubling/FCG
Almost always caused by worn, or improperly assembled, FCG parts. Double check your assembly then dry cycle the lower by hand to check for mistiming. The tip of the disconnector should almost touch the middle hammer hook when you cock the hammer by hand. Keep something soft, like your thumb, between the hammer and lower in case the hammer slips. Do not allow the hammer to strike the lower. With the hammer cocked onto the disco, SLOWLY release the trigger. The hammer should jump up slightly and now be resting on the tip of the trigger. Repeat this several times. The hammer should not fall. Written by Tweak.[/B]

Also, with the rifle back together, lock the bolt back, then pull and hold the trigger, then hit the bolt release and allow the carrier to slam forward against the barrel extension.  The disconnector should hold the hammer during the impact, and not be danced/jarred off the disconnector.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top