Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2010 5:53:45 PM EDT
i am trying to find a dutch or sudanese styke ar10 other than the ar19b does anyone have any idea where i can find one
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a little high, but it does have the bipod and scope.  I had a chance to pick up a Portuguese AR-10 a couple of years ago for ~$2300, but didn't have the bucks.  Most of the ones I've seen go for ~$3500.  I have a modern AR-10, but it's not even close in coolness.  I would love one of the originals.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am trying to find a Dutch or Sudanese style AR10 other than the AR10B.  Does anyone have any idea where I can find one?

If you posted a WTB advert on Sturm several offers would probably roll in within a week's time.  A few Dutch AR10 owners read this forum and you might get a jiggle from your post.  It all comes down to price versus expectations.  That GB advert in the last post has been going continuously since last May.  What does that tell you?

The Dutch arms company Artillerie Inrichtingen (AI) manufactured several variants of the AR10 and some mutts in between.  You mentioned the Sudanese variant and then there is the Portuguese, and some in betweeners called Transitional.  However, they are all Dutch AR10's.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a modern AR-10, but it's not even close in coolness.  I would love one of the originals.

Yep. I've been thinking about building a modern AR-10, but it just wouldn't be as cool as having a Dutch AR-10, which I can't afford.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
IM sent
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IM sent

Ooohhh...Carbinekid has an impressive collection of AR10's...Wonder what the IM said...  
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IM sent

Ooohhh...Carbinekid has an impressive collection of AR10's...Wonder what the IM said...  

Really?  Then why am I not looking at photos??
If someone has an impressive collection of AR10s, we should definitely be looking at photos, don't you agree?  
We should be looking at an impressive collection of photos!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IM sent

If someone has an impressive collection of AR10s, we should definitely be looking at photos, don't you agree?  
We should be looking at an impressive collection of photos!

Took the words right outta my mouth!
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#9]
At one time this was CarbineKid's stable.  I hope its ok that I posted.

photo credit: CarbineKid (how's that for credit?)
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
At one time this was CarbineKid's stable.  I hope its ok that I posed.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/m/dmshannon/myar10s-4.jpg

I just felt a tingly feeling throughout my body.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In my case, it's because the Archives don't seem to be Searchable beyond 30 days...  

Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable could instruct us...  

BTW: You guys did see the "special encore" notice about the 10-10-10 AR10 sale this coming weekend...Didn't you???

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=1&t=1103650
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 7 pics of AR10's displayed in Reed Knights collection, if you guys want to see them I'll post them up
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Interesting...Portuguese AR10 parts kit on a "Telko" lower...I've never heard of them; are they still in business???  
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have 7 pics of AR10's displayed in Reed Knights collection, if you guys want to see them I'll post them up

+ 1  
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]
   I really enjoyed handling Olgunner's AR10 - I was a little surprised how heavy and solid it felt. I'd absolutely LOVE to shoot it sometime, but he needs to check the headspace. Hey, he's only had it like 2 years or so...
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
   I really enjoyed handling Olgunner's AR10 - I was a little surprised how heavy and solid it felt. I'd absolutely LOVE to shoot it sometime, but he needs to check the headspace. Hey, he's only had it like 2 years or so...

So many guns...so little time!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, you want pictures?......sorry not for sale.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Timkel is modest.  His rifle appears to be the uber-rare Guatemalan contract Dutch AR10.  Just look at those weird pistol grips.  Notice the tell-tale venting between the FSB and flash-hider.  I want.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Timkel is modest.  His rifle appears to be the uber-rare Guatemalan contract Dutch AR10.  Just look at those weird pistol grips.  Notice the tell-tale venting between the FSB and flash-hider.  I want.
You are correct. You are well informed of the AR10 models.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow, never seen one with a CAR stock on it like that..  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#22]
That CAR model was built by CarbineKid.  He assures me that no retro parts were modified in the process.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Very nice example, timkel!  I'd love to take a close look at that barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, never seen one with a CAR stock on it like that..  

You probably won't see another as this one is one off, I patterened it off my sp1 ( the buffer tube on a Dutch AR10 is 1.3" while the AR14 is 1.0") machining a bunch of sub parts and had a welder put it all together for me. The guy is a real artist as these pieces are really thin and I didn't have to do much 'adjustment' to get them to slide with out slop.Then I sent it off and had it hard anodized and finally norell coated semi black. but I never finished the latch, kinda lost momentum before the next project,

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Very nice example, timkel! I'd love to take a close look at that barrel assembly.

The barrel is finned to reduce weight. Total weight is less then 8lbs.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:54:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Man that barrel is gorgeous! A by-gone era for sure. Less than 8lbs eh? Thats awesome. Lighter than a G-3 for sure.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Timkle, I didn't realize you too had a bipod front handguard! That's interesting the Guatemalan presample I parted to outfit my Specailty Arms lower also came with the bipod front HG and the bipod FSB, alas another project begging for some time I think HHollow actually has dimensioned bipod drawings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The bipod drawings I have are for the Portuguese variant and are of poor quality.  I can find nobody in the USA or the Netherlands who has ever seen the bipod setup made specially for the Guatemalan variant.  The Sudanese bipods are able to be inspected in at least one museum in the Netherlands and are very rare.  The Sudanese bipod does not appear to require a special handguard and does not swivel like the Portuguese bipod.  I have heard and read stories that the Sudanese bipods were difficult to use because the rifle would have to be repositioned in order to change the magazine and for that reason many of those bipods were left to rust in the field.

Below is a Portuguese variant AR10 with bipod.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Timkle, I didn't realize you too had a bipod front handguard! That's interesting the Guatemalan presample I parted to outfit my Specailty Arms lower also came with the bipod front HG and the bipod FSB, alas another project begging for some time I think HHollow actually has dimensioned bipod drawings.

Yes that is the handguard that came on the weapon. But no other bipod parts were included. I have never seen the correct bipod or fsb offered for sale.

Tell me about the mag pouches in your pic above? are they original for an AR10?

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The bipod drawings I have are for the Portuguese variant and are of poor quality. I can find nobody in the USA or the Netherlands who has ever seen the bipod setup made specially for the Guatemalan variant. The Sudanese bipods are able to be inspected in at least one museum in the Netherlands and are very rare. The Sudanese bipod does not appear to require a special handguard and does not swivel like the Portuguese bipod. I have heard and read stories that the Sudanese bipods were difficult to use because the rifle would have to be repositioned in order to change the magazine and for that reason many of those bipods were left to rust in the field.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2lkp2xw.jpg

Here are some pics of the early sheet metal type bipods. I'm not 100% sure if these are the same type used on the Guatemalan model.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Timkel,
         The one on the bottom in the picture you posted appears to be a Guatemalan variant.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Timkel,

The one on the bottom in the picture you posted appears to be a Guatemalan variant.
Yes it has all the Guatemalan features, except for those Portugese handguards.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Very nice example, timkel! I'd love to take a close look at that barrel assembly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/TelcoAR10barrel02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/TelcoAR10semi07.jpg

Outstanding photo!  Is there any kind of liner in the handguards, or is it just fiberglass?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/TelcoAR10barrel02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/TelcoAR10semi07.jpg

Outstanding photo! Is there any kind of liner in the handguards, or is it just fiberglass?

Hmmm....As I recall, there was a sheet metal liner (possible brass) inside the handguard. Hopefully some else can answer you question with more details.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Guatemalan type barrel shroud and Portuguese handguards. You are right Timkel.  It would appear to be a Transitional model.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Sudanese and Guatemalan variant barrel shrouds.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The bipod drawings I have are for the Portuguese variant and are of poor quality. I can find nobody in the USA or the Netherlands who has ever seen the bipod setup made specially for the Guatemalan variant. The Sudanese bipods are able to be inspected in at least one museum in the Netherlands and are very rare. The Sudanese bipod does not appear to require a special handguard and does not swivel like the Portuguese bipod. I have heard and read stories that the Sudanese bipods were difficult to use because the rifle would have to be repositioned in order to change the magazine and for that reason many of those bipods were left to rust in the field.

Here are some pics of the early sheet metal type bipods. I'm not 100% sure if these are the same type used on the Guatemalan model.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/AR10originalbipod001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/AR10originalbipod002.jpg

The bottom AR-10 in this Tokoi photo is definitely a transitional model. The inside Portuguese metal liners and outside Portuguese handguards cannot be attached to the standard Sudanese FSB or standard Sudanese upper receiver, and also must have the threaded slip ring around the barrel extension to secure the rear parts of the inner handguards and the outside phenolic Portuguese type handguards.

Yes, it also has the distinctive perforated Guatemalan barrel shroud but the features required to attach Portuguese inner and outer handguards coupled with the FSB that retains the profile of the Sudanese FSB make it a transitional model before it's anything else.
The perforated Guatemalan barrel shroud MAY just be a "red herring" that might not really belong to the rifle originally. We'll never know for sure.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/AR10originalbipod001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/timkel24102410/stuff/AR10originalbipod002.jpg

The bottom AR-10 in this Tokoi photo is definitely a transitional model. The inside Portuguese metal liners and outside Portuguese handguards cannot be attached to the standard Sudanese FSB or standard Sudanese upper receiver, and also must have the threaded slip ring around the barrel extension to secure the rear parts of the inner handguards and the outside phenolic Portuguese type handguards.

Yes, it also has the distinctive perforated Guatemalan barrel shroud but the features required to attach Portuguese inner and outer handguards coupled with the FSB that retains the profile of the Sudanese FSB make it a transitional model before it's anything else.

The perforated Guatemalan barrel shroud MAY just be a "red herring" that might not really belong to the rifle originally. We'll never know for sure.

Thanks buddy, I knew you would be able to clarify.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top