Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 11:37:05 AM EDT
Hi I'm just to start my first ar-15 build.  I do have back ground in 1911 building my last gun was an sti hicap limited gun, the only thing I didn't do myself was the hard chroming.

Well there's my skill level, so I don't think there is any part of the ar15 I wouldn't be able to handle, but I have only ever just fired one, that's the most I know about them.

Here's the question

I coyote hunt and shoot ipsc and would like a gun that might not be the best for either, but would be a good gun for both.

I think what I want is an 20" barrel. ok that seems like the easy part but I have found bull barrels and what model1 calls standard stainless barrels, would I want the bull or maybe the stainless because of weight?

The other question I have is twist rate, it looks like I can get either 1/8 or 1/9. I guessing that the 1/8 is for a lighter bullet and the 1/9 is for heavier bullet. what kind of weights can I run with either? Lets say for a min. that the 1/9 runs good with an 55 grn. bullet, what happens when I run a 40grn thru it? does it go from 1moa to 5moa?

I would like the flat top version, do the add on sites work ok? I will first shoot this in the limited class where you must use iron sites.

thanks in advance for the help guy's...

Bob
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I'd recommend a 16" barrel for the shooting you mention.  For most people, the carbine will swing faster and can be just as accurate as a 20" for hunting under 200yds.  

The bull barrels are very heavy and not a good choice for competition unless you're sitting at a bench.  The stainless or regular chrome moly would serve you well.

You have your twist rates backward.  Fast twist is for heavy bullets, slow twist is for light bullets.  The 1:9 is a good compromise for most bullet weights.  The 1:8 is popular in the DCM/Highpower crowd for the heavier match bullets.  1:7 is the current twist for USGI M4 and M16 rifles.  1:12 was the original rate for 55gr USGI ammo.

I shoot 45gr - 77gr through my 1:9 barrels with very little difference in MOA at 100yds.  At longer distances, the heavier bullets perform better with this twist.

If you get a flattop, you have many options for iron sights.  You can use a removable carry handle which mimics the A2 or add one of the aftermarket BUIS from KAC, ARMS, DPMS, LMT, etc.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top