Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:47:52 PM EST
I dropped the carrier, the key has been dinged - a minor flat are on the top of the port.

the weapon will cycle by hand AOK, but it's not as it was.

It's a Colt carrier and the allen screws have been peened to keep them from loosening.

can I use a tapered cylindrical punch to restore the round fully, or must I replace the key / carrier??? I have a spare key, but those peens on the key make it DAMNED hard (impossible so far) to remove these screws.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:01:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:04:04 PM EST
better safe than sorry.....

I'd go with replacing the key just to be safe. Seen too many photos of KBs due to missing keys, don't know how badly you'd have to screw your key up to get a KB, but they ain't the type of KBs I'd want to see happening with my rifle and me holding it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:06:59 PM EST
I would do exactly as you planned, just punch it to open it back up.... then cycle it by hand, no mounted to the lower. If it doesnt hang on the gas tube, you are good to go.

As far as KB's go.... thats not freaking likely. Even if you did massive damage, you would have to lose the entire key from the carrier in order to create such a situation.... where the carrier can rotate, and go into locked position while not being locked in the barrel extension lugs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:33:00 AM EST
the bolt definitely goes "in battery" AOK for sure, so I guess a KB is not likely....

of ocurse, "not likely" is not assuring either....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:46:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
I would do exactly as you planned, just punch it to open it back up.... then cycle it by hand, no mounted to the lower. If it doesnt hang on the gas tube, you are good to go.

As far as KB's go.... thats not freaking likely. Even if you did massive damage, you would have to lose the entire key from the carrier in order to create such a situation.... where the carrier can rotate, and go into locked position while not being locked in the barrel extension lugs.

Very true....guess thats what I get for posting while studying for a test and not really paying attention to what I was reading.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:19:11 AM EST
Tighten the screws to 35-40 INCH POUNDS and then get a punch and stake three sides of each screw......

I had the same problem months ago and wound up buying another key and gas tube, the key was misaligned so badly it crashed into the tube and tore it up.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:51:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:00:12 PM EST
UPDATE -

using a nail set fixed it perfectly
Top Top