Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/24/2003 6:33:15 AM EDT
What,s the story on DPMS quality? Are their receivers forged or cast? Their prices are certainly competitive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2003 6:43:37 AM EDT by M4arc]
DPMS makes both cast and forged receivers.  

Edited to add: As for the quality of DPMS stuff I think you'll find mixed reviews.  I own two of the CMMG/DPMS uppers and I've been extremely happy with them.  However, there are reports of DPMS bolt carriers fracturing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:23:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:14:32 AM EDT
I had FTE problems with a used DPMS.  Buy new and feed it right and I suppose this won't happen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:30:07 PM EDT
Buy a Rock River Arms rifle...

I just sold my DPMS so I could purchase a RRA Standard A2.  Personally, I think DPMS' quality is lacking.

My gripe with DPMS is that it would short cycle  with a RRA two-stage trigger.  I installed it in anopther rifle and it performs flawlessly.  Also the rear sight was canted 10 degrees. DPMS told me that the sight was well with in their specs... BS IMO.

Go with RRA, you wont regret it.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:28:13 PM EDT
Let me clarify something...my only experience with DPMS stuff is what I've bought from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url].  Every DPMS item that I've bought from them was top notch.  I've bought a couple uppers, a forged lower and two lower parts kit and I've been 100% satisfied with everything.  If DPMS has quality issues I have no first hand experience because all the stuff I bought from Jeff & John has looked nice and performed flawlessly with 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:58:38 AM EDT
The DPMS I have bought from CMMG is all top notch.  I have 2 barrels I bought from him and they are both accurate and well made.

I bought a DPMS bolt from a dealer at a gunshow and the extractor wore out after about 1200 rounds where my bushmaster, Olympic, and Armalite bolts just keeps on going.

My biggest pet peeve about DPMS is the fact that they didn't stand by their product on a receiver I  have of theirs.  I have a preban receiver that was way out of spec.  I could only use the upper that I got with it because it was hand fitted to the lower and also the bolt hold hold open slot in the receive puts the hold open device far enough back where it only works with certain magazines.  The reciever has been trued and I can use any upper now.  I tried to use 3 different hold opens and I finally made a custom one.  I emailed them and called them and got the same answer.  They said it was too old and they won't warranty it.  My experience with Bushmaster and Olympic show me that there are other manufactures with better customer service and that they will stand behind their product regardless how long ago they made it.

Just my $0.02

IDHunt
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:58:48 AM EDT
Thank you, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:22:40 PM EDT
I have a DPMS, and it was short stroking. Sent it back to DPMS and they fixed it, and shipped it back to me free of charge. They were really helpful and knowledgable.
Top Top