Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2013 9:50:23 PM EDT
here is my setup I will shoot from 15 yards to 200 and that's reaching if I find a place that clear too shoot. I have had tons of different optics acog TAO1, TR24G aimpoint and eotech on it but I ended up selling them. should I go with a ACOG or 1-4 trijicon. or red dot eotech. whats this rifle scream too put on me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For 15-200 meters a eotech will work fine 1-4 is a great option as well dependent on the precision you want to have at 200.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For 15-200 meters a eotech will work fine 1-4 is a great option as well dependent on the precision you want to have at 200.

truth be told if I get out too 200 yards I will be lucky hit 100 150, where I go shoot up on a strip mine its really not a big area. where you shoot at anyway, i also don't have tons cash too throw around on a trijicon optic again. im trying do another build and getting a used eotech off EE would help a lot. i don't run any carbine classes im just a avg go once in awhile and plink type shooter. but i like use good equitment for that. thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
double post sorry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Neither one. Leupold VXR Patrol Red Dot. 1-4. I put one on one of my Rock River Arms. I freaking love it. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
TA-33
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Neither one. Leupold VXR Patrol Red Dot. 1-4. I put one on one of my Rock River Arms. I freaking love it. Just my opinion.

im gonna have too check into that. the only 1-4 i had on this rifle was a TR24G and that sucker was heavy. i don't see how people get on target so fast like a red dot with the weight.  i would definetly get a bipod if i go 1-4 again. BTW im limited too certain optics cause my astigmatism is pretty bad. eotech looked ok aimpoint looked terrible. the acog and tr24 both looked good. not sure how the luepold VXR would look. so im taking a chance on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
TA-33

heard great things on the TA-33
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

truth be told if I get out too 200 yards I will be lucky hit 100 150, where I go shoot up on a strip mine its really not a big area. where you shoot at anyway, i also don't have tons cash too throw around on a trijicon optic again. im trying do another build and getting a used eotech off EE would help a lot. i don't run any carbine classes im just a avg go once in awhile and plink type shooter. but i like use good equitment for that. thanks for the reply.

Its good and important to be brutally honest about what you want to get done and at what ranges and what kind of price you are willing to pay.  I have several different nice pieces of glass but have found that for the type of shooting you have just outlined you may not need to go very expensive.  There are a lot of people that will say buy once cry once but that isn't a universal truth.  I would suggest reading some reviews on the lucid hd7.  I did a bunch of testing with a buddies and I almost feel like getting a few for my guns even though I need more red dots like I need another leg.  A cheaper and yet decent 1-4 that I own and have enjoyed using is the grsc.  I don't know how much they run normally but I got mine with a mil discount and have been very please with it I haven't looked around for people saying otherwise but the aiming system is quite nice and I have had zero issues with mine under hard use.

Not everyone needs a top of the line scope or optic it may suit you best to pay 200 +/- on a lucid and be able to spend the other few hundred bucks saved into ammo or a class.  As always your mileage may vary and I am no expert just an opinion giver .
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its good and important to be brutally honest about what you want to get done and at what ranges and what kind of price you are willing to pay.  I have several different nice pieces of glass but have found that for the type of shooting you have just outlined you may not need to go very expensive.  There are a lot of people that will say buy once cry once but that isn't a universal truth.  I would suggest reading some reviews on the lucid hd7.  I did a bunch of testing with a buddies and I almost feel like getting a few for my guns even though I need more red dots like I need another leg.  A cheaper and yet decent 1-4 that I own and have enjoyed using is the grsc.  I don't know how much they run normally but I got mine with a mil discount and have been very please with it I haven't looked around for people saying otherwise but the aiming system is quite nice and I have had zero issues with mine under hard use.

Not everyone needs a top of the line scope or optic it may suit you best to pay 200 +/- on a lucid and be able to spend the other few hundred bucks saved into ammo or a class.  As always your mileage may vary and I am no expert just an opinion giver .

great advice thanks i really hate getting this thing out everyday and it feels naked without a optic. my problem is i have a bad issue with not sticking with something long because i find flaws on it. i need quit playing dress up with my AR and stick with one good optic and mybe get into taking some fun shooting classes like you said. i think im just waiting for the perfect do it all optic and i need focus on shooting it more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have that problem with a handful of AR's in the safe.  I have a couple of primary arms little knock off T1's don't ever remember what they are called.  I used them as a step up one on the .22 one on the 5.45 then an actual T1 on the 5.56 gun which is the go to.  I have been using and thinking of my guns more as play toys over the last couple years.  I will get two in the same caliber and put two different optics on them a 1-4 and an acog and see which I like for the circumstance.  To this day I still prefer an Acog with stand off red dot to 1-4 that is just me.  I have shot elcans on scars with doctors on top that I loved but I would not put that kind of money into it.  You said you already have owned or used extensively the acog eot and 1-4 variable?  If that is the case you should be able to narrow it down otherwise get in the hometown forum and holler that you wanna try one and someone will invite you over you might have to bring burgers or beer I guess.

diversity is key when in doubt get both.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have that problem with a handful of AR's in the safe.  I have a couple of primary arms little knock off T1's don't ever remember what they are called.  I used them as a step up one on the .22 one on the 5.45 then an actual T1 on the 5.56 gun which is the go to.  I have been using and thinking of my guns more as play toys over the last couple years.  I will get two in the same caliber and put two different optics on them a 1-4 and an acog and see which I like for the circumstance.  To this day I still prefer an Acog with stand off red dot to 1-4 that is just me.  I have shot elcans on scars with doctors on top that I loved but I would not put that kind of money into it.  You said you already have owned or used extensively the acog eot and 1-4 variable?  If that is the case you should be able to narrow it down otherwise get in the hometown forum and holler that you wanna try one and someone will invite you over you might have to bring burgers or beer I guess.

diversity is key when in doubt get both.
http://i40.tinypic.com/23hanf8.jpg

you got some very nice glass there. the good thing about getting a red dot is im getting a 22LR upper and if i get the larue mount i can switch it from this AR and the 22. or just buy a cheap red dot for the 22 like a primary arms or TRS. but if i go acog i can only use it on the 223 right?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Heavy non match barrel and the standard Larue rails means I would be putting the lightest weight optic on it as possible. So that would likely be an ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]
For me, 200 yards and less is red dot territory.

You'll be damn near POA/POI depending on zero range.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top