Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
...to the gas system? Or am I just better off getting a new 10.5" or 11" barrel?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Better off gettting a new bbl.  Less trouble/risk of a mess up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
At a minimum, the gas port needs to be enlarged.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Better off gettting a new bbl.  Less trouble/risk of a mess up.

...even if I have someone like AR15barrels.com do the work? They have a couple pictures of similar work they've done.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends.... what is your current gas port diameter?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 7 10.5" barrels, all chopped by ADCO.  Gas ports opened to 0.093" and run fine.

I have one 11.5" barrel, also chopped by ADCO and gas port opened from 0.080" to 0.085" and it runs just fine, too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, unless you ant a length that is non-standard, you are far better off buying a new barrel in the length you want.  Cutting barrels down came out of necessity in the 70' and 80's when all that was available were 20".  To get an 11.5" barrel you had to cut one down and experiment with the gas hole diameter.  Now finding barrels in these lengths could not be easier or cheaper and you will spend as much or more on cutting one down as you will buying a new one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IMHO, unless you ant a length that is non-standard, you are far better off buying a new barrel in the length you want.  Cutting barrels down came out of necessity in the 70' and 80's when all that was available were 20".  To get an 11.5" barrel you had to cut one down and experiment with the gas hole diameter.  Now finding barrels in these lengths could not be easier or cheaper and you will spend as much or more on cutting one down as you will buying a new one.

WELL NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY NEW BANDSAW!?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have 7 10.5" barrels, all chopped by ADCO.  Gas ports opened to 0.093" and run fine.

I have one 11.5" barrel, also chopped by ADCO and gas port opened from 0.080" to 0.085" and it runs just fine, too.

How much did ADCO charge you to do these? Did it require disassembly from the upper?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top