Posted: 6/12/2003 7:17:54 PM EDT
how much are they?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=1&t=13518[/url]

That's as close as you're going to get.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no post-ban clones of the Colt XM177E2, only pre-ban's.  Because it is a flash suppressor welded on it is a pre-ban upper and subject to all the assault weapons ban rules and regs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I just tried the link and for some reason it doesn't work; so go to the "Uppers, Lowers, Barrels," etc section here, and scroll down to the thread headed w/the XM177 designation.

You can get the stuff, but you'll have to build it yourself[:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Mb121 is correct about the suppressor, but you CAN have a smith silver solder a sleeve into the  suppressor, to cover the slots. That'll make it post ban legal. Of course, it'll also have to be also welded or silver soldered to a 12.5 inch barrel to make it legal. I say 12.5 inch, rather than 11.5, because a correctly dimensioned XM 177E2 clone suppressor will only give you 15 inches on a 11.5 inch barrel[:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
do they make fake xm117 flash supressors that slide over the muzzle of a 16 inch post ban?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone interested in a Postban XM177E2 kit, send me an E-mail..I'm looking into having some postban kits with fixed Colt Aluminum style stocks made if the demand is there.

I'll have 5-6 more Preban non-NFA kits available in the next couple of weeks.

Colt-653
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but they look nothing like the original XM177E2 units.  The pieces shown on the thread I referred you to are the ONLY ones that even get close to the appearance.  The others, in my opinion, are just aftermarket POS's.

I started with a Colt SP1 carbine 30 years ago, had the barrel cut down and threaded, and then had to build my own flash suppressor.  Got it almost perfect (I think I got the rebated portion at the rear about 1/8 inch too long).  Till now, I've never seen anyone else with a unit that looked right, but what these units appear to be is smack on[:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
i would be intresed in just the upper, im makeing an m4, i could just have the upper to convert it to a vietnam syle ar.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought my first AR at a gunshow in California about 1985.  It had a collapsible stock, short barrel & long flash-hider.  After awhile, I noticed that it didn't look like all the other "CAR-15" flash hiders, and in fact, looked exactly like the XM177 flash suppressor in my Military Weapons book, right down to the little collar at the back of the flash suppressor.  I started wondering and stuck a cleaning rod down the barrel and measured the barrel length.  15.5".  Thats when I got nervous and ended up selling it off.  I can't say it was an original XM177 suppressor, but it could have been.  I know that a number were out on the market before ATF ruled them to be a Class 3 device because they also moderated the sound to a degree.  They were then supposed to all be registered and serial numbered, but I'm sure some slipped by.  Sometimes I wonder where it ended up.

This was a topic of discussion on another thread, but it also had an M16 trigger, hammer, disconnector, selector and bolt carrier.  It just had a little pin sticking out of the side that prevented the selector from moving to the auto position.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's what my kits look like.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=7821[/img]

They are an exact copy of the Colt XM177E2/Model 639. The only difference is my Moderators are not NFA restricted as they don't reduce sound. The Moderators are machined following the original plans obtained from Colt sans the internal baffles

The Postban version will look the same except the Moderator will be solid and the Colt Stock will be welded in the open position. The next batch I'm building will be non-NFA 16.1" overall length with the Moderators permanently attached to the barrels

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Postban version will look the same except the Moderator will be solid and the Colt Stock will be welded in the open position. The next batch I'm building will be non-NFA 16.1" overall length with the Moderators permanently attached to the barrels
View Quote

Are you going to use a 16", or even a 14.5", barrel with a reverse/slip over type faux suppressor? Or the 11.5"?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The non-NFA barrels will be 12.5" with an attached 4.5" Moderator for both the pre and post ban versions.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Listed Postban versions in the EE for those working on XM177 copies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top