Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2002 5:34:45 PM EDT
I was wondering you guys were having a problem with your aluminun free float tube getting to hot during rapid fire? I heard people complaining about the tube that have the knurling on the but I was also wondering about the DPMS tube.

Any insite would be great

thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 11:51:09 AM EDT
I haven't fired my AR15 too rapidly for too long, but it was rapid enough to cause some residue gun oil to smoke on the outside of the barrel. My free float tube was barely warm. However, I'm sure there's a point where it would get too hot, since I have fired an M16A2 on 3rd burst for about 200 rds straight, and the regular A2 handguards (with heat shields) got too hot to hold. Fortunately, there was an M249 close by to empty the rest of the mags I had loaded ;)
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:10:07 PM EDT
The aluminum tubes get too hot to hold just sitting in the sun and will give you hand cramps in cold weather. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 3:44:11 PM EDT
Dont know with full auto but never has in match shooting.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:40:04 AM EDT
You bet they get to hot to hold after a couple of mags of rapid fire. Thats one reason the issue guns to the military are synthetic material and other types have panels or don't put alum of any kind where the hands go. Alum tubes are cheap to make compair to an alum extrusion so you get what you pay for. If you look at ant history books of military weapons, you will notice that no one put alum tubes on for rapid fire weapons, they always used wood, fiberglass, plastic, and there are all jinds of variations, but alum is never been one as it loves to get hot real quick, hence don't use it or cover it over. Covering alum. over has the problem of only working till the panels finely get too hot to hold. Good shootin, Jack
Top Top