Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 11:19:26 AM EDT
i shot PMC 55gr fmj-bt in 223 out of sparkling new stag arms 8l and noticed two dents  on the case- 1 half way up and 1 near rim ––- is this normal?––––  i am concerned about reloading them and having a structual failure

front rail question - i put a quad rail on said gun and noticed there is alot of movement in it––way tooo much to mount optics and i dont have a bipod yet but it seems a little shaky for that as well.  most of the movement is in the front end of it-is this also a norm?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
most AR's dent cases if they make contact with the case deflector. and make sure the rail is fully seated. what kind of rail?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
1:  Normal
2: Not normal for quality rails, normal for cheap rails.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
What rail?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
midwest quadrail
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Optics should never be mounted to a hand guard or quad rail.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm...I have a set of Midwest drop in rails for my BCM middy and they lock up tight and solid
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't recommend a bi-pod or optics on a non-free float rail. It's asking for point of impact changes. If you zero with the bi-pod and then shoot the gun without it, the point of impact will be significantly affected.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My Genll M.I. drop in's are very tight and stable. Make sure they are locked in all the way.
And I agree. Never mount an optic on a hand guard.
Dave N
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
i only fired 30 rounds thru the gun before sending it back to stag because the was brass coming out broken the same shape as extractor,  stag ended up putting a new upper on it ( so they say i would never know)  and one would assume they would put it on correctly ––- although when i bought the weapon i had them install part there and i didnt notice any play but i could have been blinded by new gun syndrone
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i only fired 30 rounds thru the gun before sending it back to stag because the was brass coming out broken the same shape as extractor,  stag ended up putting a new upper on it ( so they say i would never know)  and one would assume they would put it on correctly ––- although when i bought the weapon i had them install part there and i didnt notice any play but i could have been blinded by new gun syndrone

What do you mean brass was coming out broken?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
brass was breaking at extractor contact point –– some shells ejected and the piece was barely hanging on while others were completely broken off and had to be pushed out with cleaning rod
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you talking about part of the rim being ripped off?  The chamber tolerances might have been a little off and the bolt is having a hard time pulling the spent case out of the chamber.  As far as dents go this is completely normal and unless it's a "huge dent"  I still reload them. I am talking about plinking and fun shooting here, not shooting for extremely tight groups though.  I would want a well formed case for that.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top