Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 8:14:32 AM EDT
I cut my delta ring/springs off to put on a sir-m (seemed like a good idea at the time), but now need to change it and put on another which requires the ring/spring. What tools do I need to remove the barrel, do this, and replace the barrel? How difficult is it? If I don't have the tools, who can I send it to who will do it? Chris
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You need an action block to hold the upper ,barrel wrench and a torque wrench. Your also going to need to recheck headspace. You might be better off taking it to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Headspace isn't an issue here.

Add a roll pin punch to the list to remove and reinstall the gas tube.

Molybdenum disulfide grease to apply between aluminum and steel parts on re-assembly.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p890f1a0b07586d5d164bcf85cb395ad6/fc3707a6.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't even need the roll pin punch.  Just drive the front site base pins out the right side and slide base and gas tube forward.  You should then have enough room to remove the barrel nut, then barrel, add ring and springs and re-assemble.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Halfcocked, isn't that kinda like removing your car's gas tank just for a refill?

Tapping out the roll pin takes 2-3 seconds and doesn't screw with your zero.

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Halfcocked, isn't that kinda like removing your car's gas tank just for a refill?

Tapping out the roll pin takes 2-3 seconds and doesn't screw with your zero.

View Quote

You know, I never thought about it until now but I guess I just assumed you had to remove the front site base to remove the gas tube.  I'm supposing you just slide it into the upper enough to clear the front site base, eh?

Any way with the tapper pins fitting in the grooves cut in the barrel I've never had a problem
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If I am just going to do this once, can I get by with the standard barrel wrench and barrel vise jaw blocks ($30 total) or do I need the deluxe barrel wrench and upper receiver holder (more like $70)?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top