Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/13/2009 3:25:28 PM EST
What is it about NOT using a bore guide that causes damage?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:38:30 PM EST
If a little care and common sense is used there are few concerns about damage to the weapon,and limited need of a bore guide.Damage Ive seen routinely with ham fisted rough necks cleaning weapons is washed muzzles and leades.Ive seen some folks ding/scratch chambers with steel loops and steel sectional rods.Just use quality one piece cleaning rods,go easy and pay attention to what your doing and there should be no issues.
That said the main reason I like to use a bore guide is to limit the amount of solvent contamination of the receivers.Basically keeps the solvent in the guide,on the patch and in the bore.Just makes life easier for me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:43:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2009 4:47:29 PM EST by bloodsport2885]
Originally Posted By Blankwaffe98:
If a little care and common sense is used there are few concerns about damage to the weapon,and limited need of a bore guide.Damage Ive seen routinely with ham fisted rough necks cleaning weapons is washed muzzles and leades.Ive seen some folks ding/scratch chambers with steel loops and steel sectional rods.Just use quality one piece cleaning rods,go easy and pay attention to what your doing and there should be no issues.
That said the main reason I like to use a bore guide is to limit the amount of solvent contamination of the receivers.Basically keeps the solvent in the guide,on the patch and in the bore.Just makes life easier for me.

+1 and use brass jags and loops.

Most of the stories about damaged crowns and bores is from GI's using steel, sectioned cleaning rods issued to them. Since they could get a new rifle when theirs was shot out the military wasn't too concerned about accuracy or preservation of classic firearms. Somewhere floating out there is a study done by a few guys over at the CMP forums in which an M1 was tested for accuracy before and after swabbing the bore thousands of times with a GI cleaning rod. Obvious abuse was administered. They found no appreciable differences in accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:07:15 PM EST
Just do what I did when I was worried about it. Go to Brownells website and order a Dewey 1 piece rod and a Dewey boreguide and youll be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:51:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By Camaro822:
What is it about NOT using a bore guide that causes damage?

Nothing. I've never owned one. I have some well shot and cleaned barrels that still produce excellent results.

A dewey cleaning rod is a nice investment though. If I were a benchrest shooter, I might take the extra precaution of a bore guide, but for the AR platform, I've never found it necessary.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:03:10 PM EST
what is wrong with solvent getting inside the receiver? does it eat at the anodizing?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:25:37 PM EST
what is wrong with solvent getting inside the receiver? does it eat at the anodizing?

What solvent are you talking about? Most are completely safe on anodizing, it's the super aggressive copper solvents that you need to be careful with, but even those won't hurt as long as you don't let them sit for too long.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:01:12 PM EST
Evolving from my GI training,

I have acquired several Stainless rods, and a Lucas bore guide.
However, I have heard my SS rod travel through the barrel, and have noticed "rifling" on the rod.

A buddy at the range who specializes in Bench shooting, showed me his Tipton carbon fiber rod.
He pointed out that they don't possess the characteristics of coated rods. There are also pros and cons between the CF and the SS rods.
Picturing the rifling on my SS rod, I ordered the Tipton.

I LOVE THIS ROD
I have only had the Tipton for a month, but the difference is Blue Ray vs. DVD.

As stated above, the bore guide may not be necessary, just don't gorilla the thing. While I was waiting for the Tipton, I gently and consciously fed the SS rod through the barrel and less contact was observed. I have not used any of the other bore guides, but the Lucas bore guide comes highly recommended.

As far as solvent getting in the action, I separate the upper from the lower and clean separately.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By Captains1911:

What solvent are you talking about? Most are completely safe on anodizing, it's the super aggressive copper solvents that you need to be careful with, but even those won't hurt as long as you don't let them sit for too long.

the worst i have ever used is either hoppes or nitro solvent. Mostly I just use a shot of brake cleaner then some Slip2000. And I also pull the upper and lower apart to clean.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:54:57 AM EST
the worst i have ever used is either hoppes or nitro solvent. Mostly I just use a shot of brake cleaner then some Slip2000. And I also pull the upper and lower apart to clean.

None of that stuff will hurt your upper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:55:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By markm:

None of that stuff will hurt your upper.

what will?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:15:18 AM EST
I think the "problem" with solvent coming back into the receivers is not so much a matter of irreversible damage as it is simply making a mess and getting crap where you don't want it, and perhaps necessitating cleaning it out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By troy808:
Evolving from my GI training,

I have acquired several Stainless rods, and a Lucas bore guide.
However, I have heard my SS rod travel through the barrel, and have noticed "rifling" on the rod.

A buddy at the range who specializes in Bench shooting, showed me his Tipton carbon fiber rod.
He pointed out that they don't possess the characteristics of coated rods. There are also pros and cons between the CF and the SS rods.
Picturing the rifling on my SS rod, I ordered the Tipton.

I LOVE THIS ROD
I have only had the Tipton for a month, but the difference is Blue Ray vs. DVD.

As stated above, the bore guide may not be necessary, just don't gorilla the thing. While I was waiting for the Tipton, I gently and consciously fed the SS rod through the barrel and less contact was observed. I have not used any of the other bore guides, but the Lucas bore guide comes highly recommended.

As far as solvent getting in the action, I separate the upper from the lower and clean separately.

I have been very happy with my Tipton rod as well. Every bit as good as the Dewey rods, but you don't have to worry about the coating getting caught in the barrel. There have been a couple of threads in this forum where the coating comes loose and causes the rod to become stuck.
Top Top