Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 9:55:22 AM EDT
Is it possible to cut down a crome lined barrel? Will this affect accuracy?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes - Not enough for you to notice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lined barrels have the chrome extending out on to the muzzle crown.  If the barrel is cut the chrome won’t extend out on the face of the muzzle and may lead to flaking when bullet leaves the barrel.  I don’t know how much such flaking will effect accuracy, but it is the reason I have yet to cut down my usgi colt m-16a1 barrel to 17 inches for use as a dissipater barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 If the barrel is cut the chrome won’t extend out on the face of the muzzle and may lead to flaking when bullet leaves the barrel.  

This is incorrect, no problems shortening a chromelined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Properly done, how is cutting down a chrome barrel (any barrel) going to affect accuracy?

Range-yes.  Accuracy-.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I know there will be problems when you try to ream a chrome lined barrel, but never heard of problems cutting one down.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Properly done, how is cutting down a chrome barrel (any barrel) going to affect accuracy?

Range-yes.  Accuracy-.

It's suppost to be more accurate at closer distances because there's less whip with a shorter/stiffer barrel. You'll lose velocity though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don’t know how much such flaking will effect accuracy, but it is the reason I have yet to cut down my usgi colt m-16a1 barrel to 17 inches for use as a dissipater barrel.

I don't think you can simply cut a 20" barrel down, Cleatus.  You realize that you will have to get the gas port in the barrel relocated too, right?  The gas system won't work with the port in the existing position.  And then what do you do with the old port?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's suppost to be more accurate at closer distances because there's less whip with a shorter/stiffer barrel. You'll lose velocity though.

That's what I thought, I guess I misunderstood Forest. I had the impression that he meant it would decrease accuracy.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don’t know how much such flaking will effect accuracy, but it is the reason I have yet to cut down my usgi colt m-16a1 barrel to 17 inches for use as a dissipater barrel.

I don't think you can simply cut a 20" barrel down, Cleatus.  You realize that you will have to get the gas port in the barrel relocated too, right?  The gas system won't work with the port in the existing position.  And then what do you do with the old port?

Not always. I had a 16.5in. Colt upper, that was simply cut from a 20in. HBAR. That thing was my most dependable AR on a DPMS lower. Never had a singe malfunction with it. Though I have heard of other people having problems with gas system, but I never did.
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Really?  I thought the timing required at least 3 or 4 inches of barrel past the port to get the gas system to work.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Really?  I thought the timing required at least 3 or 4 inches of barrel past the port to get the gas system to work.

Didn't on mine, Mark. Sold that bad boy to my buddy and he loves it. ...Money God, please send more!
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#13]
If that don't beat all!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
i did a bunch of rifles like the one in the pic........only thing extra i did was open up the gas hole in the barrel a little and never had any problems with any of them......... it was real popular in the mid 90s.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I cut this A2 down to about 18" several years ago.  No flaking chrome and it runs great.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If that don't beat all!

Same problem/resolution some people have with their SBR setups.  Open up the gas port a smidge and most cycling problems go away.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#17]
thanks for all the replies and the pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top