Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2006 6:44:53 PM EDT
I bought a used Phantom flash hider with crush washer. My F.H. bottoms out before I crush the crush washer. I think the crush washer that I got with the Phantom is used. I don't have a new one around. before I order a new crush washer can someone measure a new crush washer for me and let me know the thickness. The one I have that came with it measures .133 thick.
TIA
velvetant
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say "bottoms out" do you mean the Phantom actually hits the end of the barrel?  I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that at all, even if the crush washer IS fully flattened/crushed already.  Is this a factory barrel, or is it a post-ban that has been threaded?

I don't have a crush washer that's not installed on me right now (already on the way in my next order), or I'd measure one for you, but something sounds fishy with your barrel (threads too long) or that flash hider (threaded hole too short).
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When you say "bottoms out" do you mean the Phantom actually hits the end of the barrel?  I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that at all, even if the crush washer IS fully flattened/crushed already.  Is this a factory barrel, or is it a post-ban that has been threaded?

I don't have a crush washer that's not installed on me right now (already on the way in my next order), or I'd measure one for you, but something sounds fishy with your barrel (threads too long) or that flash hider (threaded hole too short).

yes it hit the end of the barrel. The barrel I bought new already threaded from the factory. I removed the stock flash hider and tried to install the Phantom. There is only a couple thousands play in the washer so I think a new washer will work. I would just like to know a measurement before I order a new one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Stock Colt ones are about 0.147"
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 3:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing to look at is, is the flash hider clean? Alot of times carbon will build up inside there on the threads preventing you to screw it on all the way.

As for  the measurement, I got the same thing as above...0.14 something.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got some crush washers from Bravo Co. and they measure .150-.155.
the new washers worked fine.
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Brand new YHM crush washers are 0.145" thick.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#7]
My Phantom bottoms out too early as well. I have to use two crush wahsers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top