Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 4:51:50 AM EDT
So, now that I have an Aimpoint, how do I want to do this? If I cowitness and the Aimpoint goes bad I'd probably just take it off since I have the quick release--but then my irons would be out of adjustment. Should I set them up together or leave them independent like they are now? What am I overlooking?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
What your overlooking is that properly mounted your iron sights should be visible through the Aimpoint, so removal of the Aimpoint is un-necessary.

Nobody suggested you "NOT" zero your iron sights thru the Aimpont did they?

Guessing that you are a bit confused over the term "co-witness"......

When your iron sights are zeroed (thru the Aimpoint) for an IBZ 50 yard zero and "set", you should find that when you zero the Aimpoint, for the same IBZ 50 yard point, that upon re-viewing your sight picture through your irons (still thru the Aimpoint, with it turned on, as it should be "turned-off" while zeroing the irons initially) the red-dot of the Aimpoint should be setting on the top of front sight post. Most find this the definition of "co-witness".

They, (the irons and the Aimpoint itself) are zeroed "independently" of each other and the co-witness aspect comes into the equation when sighting thru the irons, which if the battery is bad, dot will not show, but this will in NO WAY impead the taking of the shot as the irons have been zeroed themselves to the same point, in this case the IBZ 50 yard zero.

Hope this is some help,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
great explanation, mr_wilson.   Quiz at 11:00!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top