BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:33:31 PM EDT
ive read all the tacked resources and much great info, from what ive read
40-50 grain bullets are awesome for rodents and such, 75 gr. otm bullets
are much better for penetration and fragmentation though objects, correct??
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Close, oh so close.

75 & 77 grain EXCELLENT for penetration and fragmentation in tissue. Not so much after barriers like auto glass, etc...

Bonded bullets, usually around 60-64 grains work best after passing through barriers.

62 grain green tip is also an alternative for barrier penetration, though it is spotty on the terminal end, but you will put holes in the target on the other side.

There is NO excellent performer through intermediate barriers in the 5.56. Keep shooting or use something heavier like a 7.62x39, 6.8 or move up to 7.62x51.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Rodents being what they are, most any ammo will work just fine for them as long as it's very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
what about the varmint grenade, ive read on the tacked threads
to stay away from them, why it this. thanks for the great info guys
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They're a poor choice for self-defense because they don't penetrate deeply enough to reliably hit vital organs under every shot scenario.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a poor choice for self-defense because they don't penetrate deeply enough to reliably hit vital organs under every shot scenario.

But for small game, they are awesome.  Varmint Grenades guard my garden.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
My 20" Hbar has a sweet spot for winchester CXP 1 55 gr varmint loads.  I use this gun and load to head shoot pigs from my stand @75 yds.  In the last 5 years, I have killed a cubic shitload of pigs and have yet to have one get up and run away.  My biggest was a 425# boar.  I hit him just  above the eyes and the bullet caused such a shock, his right eyeball was completely blown out of his head.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rodents being what they are, most any ammo will work just fine for them as long as it's very accurate.

If you shoot a prairie dog with an OTM like 69gr matchking, it will knock them down, and then they get up and run in the hole. (assuming no head shots, etc) I've done it many times.
If you shoot a prairie dog with a VMax bullet it will turn them inside out like sticking an M80 in their gut.
There is a HUGE difference in shooting varmints (rodents ) depending on the bullet used.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you shoot a prairie dog with an OTM like 69gr matchking, it will knock them down, and then they get up and run in the hole. (assuming no head shots, etc) I've done it many times.

Rodents being what they are, exactly why would this be a problem?

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top