Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/24/2006 1:47:03 PM EDT
I'm in CA so its dumb and semi sac religious but still it would help my AR look nasty and still be law abiding.

I know it sucks but could anyone offer any suggestions?

I was thinking of putting a couple rivets in the side but I do not know if that will allow the mag to be inserted???
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:57:44 PM EDT
I could be mistaken but I don't think you can have a detachable mag reciever in cal .
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 2:06:44 PM EDT by kk7sm]
I thought the mag had to be fixed on the CA legal AR types, as well.

I guess it depends on how you "fix" the magazine, though. I think in some cases, a set screw was all it took to be considered "fixed."

When I lived in Hawaii, to block a magazine, they'd usually take a piece of plexiglas or lexan, cut it to the right length to block the mag, then put screw attach it to the baseplate and grind the screw flush with the baseplate.

Another option would be to screw a sheet metal screw in the front and back of the magazine to keep the follower from passing the 10 round point and then grind the screw head flush with the magazine body.

I'm sure there are other methods, but those are the two that spring to mind just off the top of my head.

Cheers,

kk7sm

ETA: I live in Texas and I don't know anything about California law, so I can't vouch for whether any of this is legal or not. So, don't be taking me to court or anything.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:08:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 2:09:06 PM EDT by ORinTX]
I'm assuming you purchased your AR before the cali ban of 2000, and now want to buy additional mags for it that you didn't posess before the ban.

If I was you, I'd go shop for straight up 10 round mags.

Not that there's a way for anybody to know when you purchased your standard capacity mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:14:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:
I'm assuming you purchased your AR before the cali ban of 2000, and now want to buy additional mags for it that you didn't posess before the ban.

If I was you, I'd go shop for straight up 10 round mags.

Not that there's a way for anybody to know when you purchased your standard capacity mags.

That'd be the route I'd go.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:23:20 PM EDT
I have a mess of good AR mags that are old but still work great.

I am building a fixed mag AR only catch is it cannot hold more than 10rds, so I still want to use my USGI mags with the green followers but I have to limit the round count to 10...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:24:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kk7sm:

Another option would be to screw a sheet metal screw in the front and back of the magazine to keep the follower from passing the 10 round point and then grind the screw head flush with the magazine body.

Thanks this seems like a great idea, if you position the screw correctly it shouldn't even affect or touch the spring right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
I'd move to a better state.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:35:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RatTerrier:
I'd move to a better state. hr

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:42:37 PM EDT
Call ArmaLite and speek to a rep there, they might be able to help you out with a 30 rd mag body with a stopper at 10 rds.

Pat
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:56:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
Thanks this seems like a great idea, if you position the screw correctly it shouldn't even affect or touch the spring right?

It should - you have about 1/2 inch or so of clearance in the front of the magazine and only a little clearance in the back. The spring tends to ride along the back of the magazine, but there's a raised section where the weldment is on the back of the magazine, and the green follower has only a little bit of clearance, there, so you can use a very short screw there.

On the back, I'd grind the front of the screw down flat so it only protrudes a hundredth of an inch or so when screwed in (you'll have to measure it to make sure - I'm too lazy right now). In the front, there's plenty of room.

Cheers,

kk7sm

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 7:22:54 AM EDT by Leg]
Most of my mags have a pop rivet in the spine to limit follower movement. I also have some 20 rounders that have a rod attached to the follower that sits inside the spring so that it doesn't come in contact with it. The floorplate then gets a pop rivet through an existing hole so that it can't be removed. Put some cold blue on the rivet or a magic marker will work et voila! You won't even be able to tell that it's been modified.

If in doubt then just ask any of the Canadians on the board. We've been stuck with 5 rd mag capacity for over a decade.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:03:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Leg:
If in doubt then just ask any of the Canadians on the board. We've been stuck with 5 rd mag capacity for over a decade.

I think all the gun loving Canadians should move down here, and we'll send up the gun hating Americans in exchange. It works out for everybody.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:24:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:
I think all the gun loving Canadians should move down here, and we'll send up the gun hating Americans in exchange. It works out for everybody.

I don't know, OR - Canada just elected a new government.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:28:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kk7sm:
I don't know, OR - Canada just elected a new government.

Screw Canada, I'm just trying to figure out a way to get rid of the gun haters around Austin.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:22 AM EDT
Yep, new goverment for Canada. They are gun friendly, but they only have a minority government so I doubt that things will change much. As long as they get rid of the long arm registry then I'm satisfied....for now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
If this is something you want to do yourself, you should really ask DOJ what their standard is. Anything that is told to you here is fine, but ultimately it's DOJ that will decided if the mag is truly 10 rounds or not. Much like a Letter of Ruling to Tech Branch, I would write a letter proposing the method you will use to modify a 30-rounder to 10 rounds.

However, I would simply buy 10 rounders rather than destroy a 30 rounder that is already legally in your possession. Seems a little idiotic seeing as though you would obviously have to have the 30 rounder already in your possession, which makes it legal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 10:29:32 AM EDT by psebowhunter]
what i did is about 3 posts down. this is legal in michigan for hunting. i dunno what your laws consist of, but its an idea.www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=259392
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:33:01 PM EDT
In the old days when I used to use my SKS as a brush gun for hunting, we just made a wood block that fit in the mag area that would limit it to 5 rounds. I don't know if this would be acceptable in the non free state of Cali.

Nox
Top Top