Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
10/30/2020 2:42:12 PM
Posted: 1/1/2004 2:21:30 PM EST
I like the looks of this on their website but haven't seen one in person. Who has and how do you like it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:31:13 PM EST
RRA A4 = great gun.  I've made several guns with RRA parts and been very happy with the results.

Tactical Carry Handle = overspecialized.  The only optic that still lets you use the irons is the Aimpoint in the ultra-low single ring non-QD mount.  If you're 100% sure that's what you want forever, then it's ok.  Otherwise, I'd recommend an ARMS #38 EX or S-EX extended rail.  They have built-in fold-down rear sights and allow forward mounting of reflex optics (aimpoint, eotech, trijicon, etc).
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:18:42 PM EST
Thanks fizassist,I was thinking it would be more useful than that. How rugged are the fold down sights? I've only owned A1 and A2 handles on previous ARs. Never liked the one screw optics mounts they used.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:58:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By 1911roben:
I was thinking it would be more useful than that.
View Quote

Yeah, so was I; I bought one used and sold it within a week.  You'll notice that they move pretty slowly on the EE.  They do look cool, they have an Aimpoint battery compartment, and they are good as an Aimpoint mounting system with the low ring.

How rugged are the fold down sights? I've only owned A1 and A2 handles on previous ARs.
View Quote

They're very rugged; you see a lot of the high-speed boys using ARMS flip-up sights.

Never liked the one screw optics mounts they used.
View Quote

Yep, picatinny rail is nice.  The ARMS track-mount rings (#21, IIRC) are nice for mounting on ARMS rails, too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:20:30 PM EST
Thanks fizassist, What brand optics do you like? Stuff for ARs has kind of exploded since I had one before. I had a low power scope on my last one. Had a spotlight on the bbl. with two lantern batteries in a shoulder pack. It worked great on maurading racoons in my chicken coop at night.Got 5 with 5 hots in about 5 seconds one night.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:22:45 PM EST
avoid the "tactical carry handle" for all the reasons above. Not to mention it is neither tactical or a carry handle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:28:55 AM EST
Thanks for the reply, new-arguy. I'm sure glad I was directed to this forum from the 1911 forum before I decided to buy an AR again! So do you think I should get an A3 style or A4 with ARMS #38 EX? roben.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:46:41 AM EST
Thanks fizassist, What brand optics do you like?
View Quote

Well, you'll probably get more informed answers by hanging out in the optics forum, but here's what I like:

1x reflex sights:  For very quick shooting at short range, I like the EOTech/Bushnell holosight with the 65 MOA ring + 1 MOA dot.  The Aimpoint 4 MOA dot works better for me for slow, aimed fire out to 100 yds; dunno why.  If you get a reflex sight, mount it forward (above the carry handle) for quicker acquisition.  This can be done with a sturdy railed handguard (ARMS SIR, KAC RAS/RAS2, etc) or an extended mount that comes off the flattop upper (ARMS #38 EX/S-EX, GG&G Fire Scout rail, etc).

Magnified optics.  Hard to go wrong with Trijicon for a "combat style" optic.  Very rugged.  The TA01 has crosshairs that are illuminated at night by tritium.  Precise, with a rangefinding reticle.  The TA11/TA31 models are also illuminated during the day by fiber optics but have dot (or dount or triangle) reticles.  Not quite as precise, but can be used very effectively as a reflex sight if you leave both eyes open.

For a more traditional scope, I like Leupold mil-dot scopes.  Very clear glass, smooth operation.  If you can't afford Loopys on all your guns (I can't!), the following are good quality lines from otherwise questionable brands:

Tasco Super Sniper
Bushnell Elite
Bausch & Lomb Tactical (no longer made?)
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:26:01 AM EST
Thanks fizassist,The choices are amazing.I will probable go with reflex.I want to have irons for reliability.Would you use A2 style handle with Z type mount for that? Roben.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:31:10 AM EST
If you want an A2 upper, a Z mount is the cheapest way to put a reflex sight in the right place.  Personally, I put an Olympic Arms FIRSH ($100 free floating rail handguard) on my A2.  That let me mount the sight directly on the handguard.  The only problem I have with the FIRSH is that it's not a true picatinny rail, so ARMS throw-lever mounts won't work.  The Aimpoint Railgrabber (with spacer) works great, though.  The Eotech will be the perfect height when mounted on a FF handguard, which means it will occlude the iron sights on a Z mount.  (IIRC, the FIRSH isn't so great for heat dissapation.  I don't shoot auto, so I have been happy with them on several guns.)  

Personally, I prefer flattops.  I have seen people mount optics on detachable A2 carry handles, but I think the only optic this makes sense for is the ACOG.  That's how it was originally mounted, and it sits a lot lower than most carry handle scopes.   For the least money, I would get an ARMS #38 S-EX.  That gives you a back-up rear sight and very forward mounting of your optic.  The long rail isn't as rigid as mounting directly to a railed FF tube, but it's a lot easier to install and includes the rear sight.  This will work fine with the aimpoint railgrabber mount, but again, the Eotech will sit too high.

Summary:
A2 upper:

Z-mount:  Aimpoint
FF handguard:  Aimpoint or Eotech

A3 (flattop) upper:

ARMS #38 EX/S-EX or similar:  Aimpoint
FF handguard:  Aimpoint or Eotech

Of course, Aimpoint & Eotech are not the only game in town, but you can use them for a general reference when comparing the mounting heights of different optics.    
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:27:22 AM EST
Pay the extra $35 and get the chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:22:30 AM EST
BTW, here's my preban setup.  Carbine length FIRSH, Aimpoint ML2 in Railgrabber mount with spacer, ARMS #40 back-up rear sight.  Insight M3 light mounted at 1:30 with a pressure pad.  Not as bright as your spotlight, probably, but it will light up any room in my house.  For serious outdoor use, I'd get a monster Surefire.

[img]http://star.physics.kent.edu/~bnorman/images/preban.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:39:20 AM EST
1911roben
 Forget the tactical carry handle its useless -you can order your upper without it , save some money . I had one it was so useless and ugly I sent it to New Jersey !
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:10:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:40:58 PM EST
1911roben:  Good choice on the RRA, I own one (the entry model)and it's great.  I've had no problems with it and the fit, finish, etc. is perfect.

Over the last couple of months I've modified mine up quite a bit though-

I've added a ARMS #46 SIR, #40 BUIS, and a M-2 Aimpoint.  I've got a GG&G Forward grip on it for the moment.  

I really like the Aimpoint.  It's advantages are long batt life (especially with the double batt mod), ruggedness, and ease of use.  Shooting with both eyes open is a snap.  I mounted mine with the ARMS #22M68.

I couldn't be more pleased with everything as far as function & appearence.  It is now one hot looking M4gery.  That reminds me, I need post a pic.

Anyhow, you'll like that A4, if you want something more M4-like, I'd go with the Entry model.  And yes, stay away from the tact-carry handle (you can order them without) and get a flattop--it will give you more options.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:43:37 PM EST
Thanks all for your replies. Nice looking rifle fizassist! I take it that oly ff forearm requires that the front sight be removed and reenstalled to mount? Also is the reason for the #40 rear sight so it folds down out of your sight picture?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:55:37 PM EST
I take it that oly ff forearm requires that the front sight be removed and reenstalled to mount? Also is the reason for the #40 rear sight so it folds down out of your sight picture?
View Quote

Yep on both counts.  Note that removing the front sight is a problem on post-bans that have a permanently attached muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:57:08 PM EST
if you haven't checked them out [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url] has a "Custom Upper" section under RRA. Here you can build your own M4 upper. You can add/subtract things like:
- Carry Handle
- Tac Carry Handle
- Barrel Lengths
- Muzzle Comps
- Chrome Lining
- Handguards
- etc.

ADCO is also a great place to pick up the goodies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:59:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By tivoli410:
if you haven't checked them out [url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url] has a "Custom Upper" section under RRA. Here you can build your own M4 upper. You can add/subtract things like:
- Carry Handle
- Tac Carry Handle
- Barrel Lengths
- Muzzle Comps
- Chrome Lining
- Handguards
- etc.

ADCO is also a great place to pick up the goodies.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:54:53 PM EST
Thanks guy's. I'll have adco build one as soon as I sort through my options and pick what I want. It sure was easier back in '86 when I bought my last AR very few potions. If I go with arms #38 ex should I get the weaver gas block and a flipup front sight? If so what brand flipup is good? I like the looks of Les Baer's thunder ranch AR but wouldn't spend that kind of money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:17:59 PM EST
If I go with arms #38 ex should I get the weaver gas block and a flipup front sight?
View Quote

I never saw the need for a flip up front (although I wouldn't turn down a free one!)  My DPMS .22 AR doesn't have a front (or rear) sight, and I'm always a little nervous when I don't see it through the Aimpoint.  Others will have different opinions, I'm sure.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:25:42 AM EST
Thanks fizassist, I was just thinking it would be easier If I wanted to change FF handguard with the weaver block. I would be alittle nervous with one screw holding the front sight on. Roben.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 4:50:19 AM EST
Thanks fizassist, I was just thinking it would be easier If I wanted to change FF handguard with the weaver block.
View Quote

Actually, I have not seen an FF tube that will slide out over a picatinny rail gas block.  The tubes unscrew from the barrel nut in general, so they must go out straight over the gas block.  The inner diameter is too small to clear the pic rail on top of the gas block.  Only a low-profile gas block (no rail, no flip-up sight) will help there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 5:45:47 AM EST
Thanks fizassist, I guess there isn't any free lunch. I will probably stay will a standard front sight, at least it will be there when I need it.You just saved me more money again. thanks Roben.
Top Top