Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2003 4:40:00 PM EDT
Evening, I'm shooting a Colt SP2  with a colt 4x scope, sighted in at 25yds it was  right on, but at 100 yds it was about 10" too high. I had the adjustment at the "100-200 yds" setting. I turned the setting all the way down, adjusted the scope down and got it to  1" with 5 rounds at 100 yds. (I'm shooting 55g Winchester fmj using 20g of IMR 4198.) If it is that big a jump from 25 to 100 yds where do I aim for say 200-300 yds? Am I not using this scope right?

Thanks

rk
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I took my SP1 out last weekend, also with the Colt 4x scope, and noticed the same thing, moving out from 25yds to 100, shooting about 7.5" high at 100.  I'm pretty much a idiot on ballistics, unfortunately, but the ammo forum here has some brains that sould probably answer your question.  Also, here is an address that has some ballistics charts.  They are a bit fuzzy, but usable.  Hope this wasn't a complete waste of your time...  

Brian

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zerotrajectories.msnw
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There are many discussions on here about sighting in scopes.  Just do a search.

As far as your situation goes, 25yds. is way too close to properly sight in a scope.  Ideally you'd sight in at 200 yds.  If anything, sight it in at 100, and then adjust your BDC appropriately.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Brian, PPD, thanks. Hunting coyotes here in the mountains 100yds is a long shot. 200 never happens. Generally they are within 50 to 75. Guess I just need to shoot some more with it.

rk
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top