Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 4:22:01 AM EDT
are the mag bodies marked colt or just the base plates?just wondering because i have a couple mags stamped on the body as well as the floor plate
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Most floating around now days are USGI spec w/ Colt floorplates somebody bought and stuck on 'em, so they can gouge unsuspecting wannabe AR15 owners.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
are the mag bodies marked colt or just the base plates?just wondering because i have a couple mags stamped on the body as well as the floor plate

From my experience, and I'll leave this open for correction by folks more knowledgeable than myself, the Pre-94 Colt 30s had no marking on the bodies themselves.  IIRC after the ban was put into effect, Colts were date marked only on one side of the magazine body toward the bottom of the mag.  More recently, and I'm not sure when the change took place, Colt mags went to having the date mark @ the bottom + having Colt industry markings w/ "Restricted Military Law Enforcement/Export Use only" higher up on the magazine.  (Same changes w/ Okay magazine concering the markings as Okay produces Colt)

IMHO W/ Colt magazines, looking beyond the markings/floorplates themselves, it's the welds that are the tell tale sign of it's manufacture.

HTH,

Sly

(I'm at the office right now so without my mags in front of me, I'm just going on memory at the moment)
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt magazines are made by NHMTG/Okay industries and Colt puts propriatary floor plates on thier magazines. All magazines made between Sep 94 and Sep 04 must be LE/Gov marked. There won't be any markings on Colt mag bodies, besides the LEO markings. As mentioned, many unscrupulous gun dealers will take Colt floor plates and place them on USGI magazines and sell them at an increased cost, which is what Colt and everyone does. Colt mags are Okay/NHMTG magazines, except with logo floorplates and paying 50 cents more for Colt magazines is silly. I have never seen a Colt logo stamped on the body of a 30 round magazine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
i have colt body stamped mags with le/gov marked,wanted to know if all colts were,the 1's i bought look the same as my others just not stamped
my colt 30's that are stamped pics

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
sooguy:

I went home & checked my mags.

Just after the 94 "assualt weapon" ban, Colt marked their magazine w/ a manufacturers' code & date stamp on the lower portion of the magazine. (As pictured) This code of 33710 is the same as Circle Kay / Okay.  Which makes sense as Okay manufactured Colt magazines.  The only difference being who was listed as the manufacturer on the floor plate.

Of all my Colt magazines, the earliest showing of the "Military, LE, Goverment, Export" only markings on the top 1/4 of the magazine bega in 1995.

From the picture you show, your mags are blocked by a rivet.  What capacity are they limited to? I only ask, because if it is possible for you to send your magazines back to the US of A, and receive capacity specific magazine, such as 5, 10, or 15 round, maybe that'll work out to the best for all?

I must add, Ryno_the_wyno's post leaves me a bit baffled.  From my own experience, the early banned Mil/Gov/LE/Export only magazine showed the MFG# + the date stamp, such as as any date after 09/04.  Then in at least 1995 the magazines exhibited the "restricted" nomenclature on the top 1/4 of the magzine .  This wording was on one side of the magazine, on the other was the "Colt's MFG".  While I admit, there was no Colt "logo" on the magazine body itself, but the magazine did display "Colt MFG" &/or "Okay".  (Logos & brand names being seperate, of course)

HTH-

Sly
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
my ar15 mags are blocked to hold no more then 5 rounds as per canadian gun laws-all centerfire semi automatic mags must be pinned to hold 5
i wouldn't send them back,there's nothing wrong with them,was just wondering if all colt mags were appropriately labelled,i will take a pic of both together for comparison-colts together

colt in question on right
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top