Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 12:44:35 PM EST
How old is this thing, it states "colt ar-15" on the floor plate, I am guessing late 60s.

I found it in a drawer at work ( I forcefully work at shop office for 596th Maint. Co. in Darmstadt Germany)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:59:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 12:59:53 PM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
If it's a Colt, it isn't steel. It's aluminum body w/ aluminum alloy follower.

Also- there is a steel spring retainer which is riveted to the front, this spring should snap into a slot on the floor plate. (I mention that as there may be some rust which would lead one to believe it's steel...)

Are you sure it's steel?

Sly
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:55:48 PM EST
I will look again once I get home, it prob is aluminum.

I still would like info about those types of mags, any help is coo.

[Looks like my tap for my lower is FINALLY here, only 4 weeks after it was shipped][I hope that it is my tap]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:04:27 AM EST
I have one of those too. It's a great mag. The follower and springs move so smooth, I would like to get more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:05:57 AM EST
I was given one, it works ok, but my DR200 seems to like 30 round mags more.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:57:33 AM EST
Here's Troy's Mag FAQ.

Troy's Mag FAQ

Enjoy.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:59:51 PM EST
The Colt 20 rounders are the only mags I have that are reliable. I got 5 new Labelle 30rd. mags and they don't feed right at all no matter how many round are in them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:02:33 AM EST
I just purchased two of these used and unfortunately I think one of them is going to need a new spring. Both need to be refinished. Otherwise they look better than most of the mags I've compared them to.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:22:34 AM EST
I looked at my 20 rounder and was that is was prob an early AF or USA mag but on the side opp of the welds, there is a " c" near the bottom of it and the ends of the "c" have a loop connecting them, I might have to add a pic. What kind of mag did I find?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:18:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By svtfast:
I looked at my 20 rounder and was that is was prob an early AF or USA mag but on the side opp of the welds, there is a " c" near the bottom of it and the ends of the "c" have a loop connecting them, I might have to add a pic. What kind of mag did I find?

Pic would be best, I'm outta ideas.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:43:09 AM EST
I dont have a digi camera, I need one cause I still use 35mm for all important pics. Will post pic asap. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:47:55 AM EST

Isn't that the "UI" logo for Universal Industries, Colt's sub-contractor? All of my Colt mags have that logo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:53:11 AM EST
If I look at the mag from the side, it looks like the c I describer earlier. IF I stand it up its looks like the I and the U.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:30:07 AM EST

If I look at the mag from the side, it looks like the c I describer earlier. IF I stand it up its looks like the I and the U.

Sorry, yeah I get what you saying. "Technically" When you look at it on its side, it should like a "H" inside a "C" for "Colt Hartford". (At least that's what the legend is)

It's a U.I. body and if it has a Colt Floor plate, it passes as a "Colt magazine". Obviously contracted by Colt from UI. Should be an excellent mag.

Sly
Top Top