Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2003 5:26:49 PM EDT
Is it legal to take a 6 position collapsible stock and set it to any collapsed position then permanently pin (with no way to undo pin) the stock at that point and be ATF legal?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=174027&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know everything so don't get a lynch mob if I'm wrong about this BUT, I thought as long as it can't be moved without tools it would be legal.  In other words, if you put a screw in the stock to "fix" it at a certain length then it would stay that length unless you took a screw driver and removed the screw so it could move.  Like I said, I may be wrong about this but the whole big deal over a collapsible stock is so you can conceal it then extend it when you fire the gun, if you couldn't do this without disasembling something in order to move the stock it seems like it would be ok.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The link I posted is supposed to have two images containing a letter from the ATF Tech Branch. The ARFCOM Photo Server isn't working so you can't see the image. Basicaly the letter states that the stock must be welded so that the stock can't move. Now that these stocks are hard to weld, I would think that as long as the stock is permanently affixed it would be legal. I am not the ATF though.

TNFrank, it would be nice if that were the case, but the ATF isn't that nice.[:)] Look at it as if we were talking about a muzzle brake on the end of the rifle. If you have threads on the end of the barrel, the brake must be permanently attached.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if you put some 2 part epoxy on the tube then put the stock on it. That would "weld" it in place, some of that epoxy is harder then steel when it's dry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So, does anyone have a way that we all can use to permantly affix our collasible stocks
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of a coupla guys that've used epoxy. It's sure permanent, but as far as the ATF goes, who knows? Depends on the day...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top