Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 9:02:08 AM EDT
I wasn in the barn and found a coon.  Instead of running, he attacked the barrel on my bushy.  When I pulled the triger, he was biting the barrel with it pointed at him.  Needless to say, he didnt survive.  But I got splattered by him.  I took him outside and cut him in half bumpfiring and burned the remains on the barrel.  What is the best way to get it off?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, did you screw up.  Unless he was rabid, you turned some fine eating into carnage.  If it ever happens again, do this:

Skin the coon as soon as possible getting rid of all of the yellow fat on the carcass.  Soak overnight in the fridge in salt water, cut into serving sized pieces (legs, cut the back in half).  Pressure cook for 15-20 minutes and sear on BBQ grill OR roast in oven w/ sweet potatoes for about an hour.  The pressure cooking tenderizes it quite a bit before grilling or roasting and IS absolutely necessary. MMMMMMM...and preservative free, hormome free meat!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
WTF...[:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Hurry!! You must get rid of the rifle... FAST!! It is contaminated with coon guts, a deadly mix!! I'll take the rifle off your hands for $50 straight up. Never mind that I'm in CA, I'm doing this for a fellow AR15.com member!! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Just keep bump firing til your finish melts off w/ the guts on it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Spit on it and let that soak, that will disolve blood, etc. Or spray and wash. You need something to break down the proteins in the blood.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Arkansas Rocketman, I thought you were going to say something like, ". . .then throw away the coon and eat the board?"

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If you've ever had to clean coon gut off of a rifle barrel......

[size=6][b]You might be a Redneck![/b][/size=6]

[:E]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you've ever had to clean coon gut off of a rifle barrel......

[size=6][b]You might be a Redneck![/b][/size=6]

[:E]
View Quote

ROFL!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]
You wouldn't happen to have a video of that, would you?

[:D]

CJ
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#11]
no camera, it would haven gotten splatterd too.  good thing i didnt have the scope on it then.  I guess I'll just use soap and water to get it off of the gun.  more or less, if it faces the front of the gun, it got splattered.  sights, handguard, clip, me, my friend.  Its burnbt on the barrel pretty good.  something about bumpfiring 2 clips at what was left of the coon, and then several more clips later that night, it was the 4th.    
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
They are magazines, not "clips." [soapbox]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Pressure cooker![:O]

Since when did rightous hill folk get pressure cookers?

Boil the critter after skinning and gutting/removing the yellow fat.
After 20 Min. add 1 Beer,1tbsp Cayanne pepper,and the juice of 1 lemon.

After 40 Min. remove critter.
Using a disposable .49 cent paint brush(CLEAN you heathens!) apply the following glaze liberally.

1/4 cup of Honey,1tbsp Cayanne pepper,2 pinches of crushed oregano,1 crushed whole clove of garlic,corse ground black pepper,and salt to taste.

Then....
Toss it on the Grill set on low for about 40 Min.Turn often.Go for a dark brown finish like old varnish,not too black.

As for the rifle.
Try good old Kroil and a Bronze bristle brush.
Let the Kroil soak in,and penetrate for a couple of hours.Then scrub.
Follow up with Breakfree and a GI toothbrush.

Good luck to ya!
S-28

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:35:48 AM EDT
[#14]
And who the hell says we don't need bayonets for our hunting rifles ?!!?!?!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Kind of in the same vein as "I need to clean deer innards out of my truck grille"

Soap, and water. Failing that, bleach, undiluted. Rinse well and reoil immediately.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Try hydrogen peroxide, it should take care of blood splatters and a soft scrubb brush with soap and water. Another reason for bayonet lug. Was the racoon carrying an AK?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Was the racoon carrying an AK?
View Quote

"that's what the police report said..." lol
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Coons do make a mess when you shoot them, it's like their blood pressure is at japanese movie levels.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Coons do make a mess when you shoot them, it's like their blood pressure is at japanese movie levels.  
View Quote

ROFL!![LOL] And I thought
I was the only one who thought Japanese folks had higher blood pressures(Or more blood) than other folks, when watching Samurai flicks when I was a kid!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#20]
peroxide... then lube it up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top