Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2003 11:11:41 AM EDT
how long does everyone here take to clean your rifle?

what is your average time and why?

what chemicals/equipment do you use?

I take about .30 min and am very pleased with how clean my rifle is(believe me,it's CLEAN)NO CARBON and bright shinny bore.

I was just wondering if my speed is average, too fast or too long?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Never timed myself. Always worried about what is IMO correct. I use Shooter's Choice solvent, CR-10 if necessary, and Breakfree in that order. Enough patches to make sure it is clean. Breakfree on the bolt and carrier group, charging handle, internal surfaces and external surfaces.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Less and less time every time I clean it.

I'm coming to the conclusion that we clean our guns to much, to the point of wearing them out prematurely.

If I've not shot 600 rounds through my AR, I'm not cleaning it. I shoot it too often to worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#3]
if i'm shooting a lot i just clean the bolt and carrier.  clean the firing pin and bolt out every other trip.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say it takes me 10 minutes to pick it clean,  20 minutes if Im really anal, and about 25 minutes if Im really cleaning it good & watching tv at the same time...  I think the cleaning part is a fun part of owning a gun.  I love to really keep em clean.  On the other hand I have one gun that I am testing for reliability,  no cleaning what so ever.  It is pretty dirty,  but has given me a benchmark to go by for reliability...  And no its not an AR,  I wouldn't do such a thing to these guns.

Prosise
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it depends on how dirty it is and when I expect to shoot it again. Half hour for a quick clean and lube is about right and double that for a right proper tear down clean job.

Major clean for longterm storage I use hoppes solvent and lube with LSA. To me the LSA coats better and lasts longer than CLP. Though I'm not a big Hoppes lube fan I'v yet to find a better solvent or at least one that is so easy to find.

More frequently used firearms, I use CLP. It does a fine job and is fast/easy to use.  I carry CLP squirt bottles in my field bags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
30 minutes sounds good.  I like to let my hoppes soak in the bore for at lest 5 minutes.

I always thoroughly clean any weapon I might need for defense!

My rimfires on the other hand...... FORGET IT!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool, thanks guys for all the input.

I didn't tell you what I use to clean just about all of my guns.
I have been cleaning  guns for about 13 years now.started out in the military with clp. during the police acadamy I moved to hopps and shooters choice and spent a fortune on it.

now, amidst the horror of some, I have found for pistols,auto rifles and shotguns I squirt them down with WD40 to break up the gunk. a few squirts of clp for the bore and run a brush through it several times while the WD40 soaks on all parts.
using a toothbrush on all other parts.
then hose it down with carb cleaner, blasting away all carbon. another light coat with WD40 on the outside and wipe down with a clean rag.

clp on the moving surfaces, bore, and critical points and I'm done.

of course I would never treat my precission bolt guns this way, just my heavy users.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I do the Upper only, on Day One, taking well over an hour to do a complete and thorough job.  Day two is the Lower Receiver.  Also an hour plus.

Being in the Service must have done something to me that I take longer than anybody else around here.
[(:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It usually takes me about 30 minutes to clean my AR.  I usually just wipe everything down with CLP and leave a light coat on all the metal parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as it takes to get white patches.  I just spent 2 days, probably like 4 hours each day, to clean my Dads Garand.  It was his DCM rifle and it took that long to stop seeing green on the patches.

After a match I'ld say it's 2 hours easy from tear down to safe.  Most of the time is spent waiting.  Run a soaked plastic brush of Hoppes or Shooters Choice down the barrel and wait 15 min.  Wipe it out with 2 patches.  If they have any green on them repeat until they come out white.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm courios, why do some of you clean until you get final white patches? is it to reduce wear on the bore? if so, wouldn't your bore be in the same (dirty) condition after some rounds go down it? and then continuing to shoot on top of that DIRTY bore[:O]..I'm sorry but I don't see the logic of cleaning a combat style weapon for hours just to get a few extra seconds of clean when you start shooting.

a precision rifle that demands extreem accuracy on the first shot for long distance targets would have more justification for such a clean bore. but then you should have a fouling shot anyway before your actual scoring shot.

for combat weapons I just clean them to remove the abrasive grit and built up carbon and then move on to my real life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm courios, why do some of you clean until you get final white patches? is it to reduce wear on the bore?
View Quote

If you don't clean the bore to spotless everynow and then, it will build up copper fouling and eventually cause problems.  It takes a while for problems to occur but they will happen.

That being said, I hate cleaning guns and since I shoot at least once a week, I clean things only when they get nasty.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
for the lower a quick blast of carb cleaner to remove the gunk and re lube.

for the upper pull the handguards and toss in my parts washer for 10 min. Swab the bore wipe down the bolt and relube.

less than 15 min total
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top