Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 7:14:52 AM EDT
chrome lined BR are long lasting and durable will still be going when i am dead .i understand the good point's of chrome lined barrels OK.

what about chrome molly barrels are they more accurat than CL how long will they last xxxx rounds  ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about the "more accurate" label applied to unlined barrels.  When you're talking "more accurate" you'rereferring to the experience of taking 100 barrels od rach type, firing groups from all of them, and averaging out group sizes.

Assuming equal care in manufacture, and equal conditions and ammo use, the unlined barrels will probably average out maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch tighter groups at 100 yards.

To which my response is, "Who the hell cares?" I'll take not having to "break in" the barrel, not worrying about water getting in and causing rust if I'm in the boonies, not feeling impelled to clean the barrel if I'm feeling lazy after I get the thing home, etc.etc. to any supposed accuracy bonus that small.

Re difference in barrel life, very few of us will ever shoot any AR, lined or unlined, enough to wear out the barrel, unless the weapon is select fire, or bump fired all the time.

To echo someone else's sig line, "Go chrome or go home"
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
why do you need to break in a non CL BR ?

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
why do you need to break in a non CL BR ?

Beats the hell out of me.  I just keep reading posts on this site from people who got instructions on "breaking in your barrel" either packed w/the thing, or off the makers web site.  From my perspective it's the silliest thing since the pet rock----but who the hell asked me?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
'Break In' is the same for all barrels, chrome-lined or not... It's a process of shooting & cleaning that is supposed to wear off any 'rough' edges of the barrel throat...

In the end, the question has more to do with 'what will the gun be used for'....

Some of us will never take our AR to 'the boonies', and actually DO care about that extra 1/2" at 100yds...

For that case, CM (or better yet, stainless) is best...

However, for a rifle that will be rolling in the mud, et al, chrome is better...

It all depends on intended use, but unless you live in a corrosive environment (such as near salt water), or take your rifle sloshing thru water/mud, you don't need chrome-lining...

If you do any of the above, the situation is different... Chrome-lining is also a plus on machinegun barrels that will be subjected to repeated mag dumps, etc (for thosw who see the purpos of owning a MG in being able to rip thousands of rounds down range at 'minute-of-backstop' accuracy, as fast as possible)

Oh, and almost any barrel will outlast your use of the rifle, unless you are (A) into CMP/NRA matches, or (B) wreck it by poor maintanance or overcleaning. Chrome-Moly barrels have been recorded as 'still shooting' after 30,000 rounds....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#5]
A new barrel will have lots of rough machining marks and snags down the bore.

"breaking in a barrel" is used to remove these spots and leave a smooth finish.

some say shoot the hell out of it these will wear off, While others shoot one shot at a time then scrubb the bore to remove all copper and fouling, then repeat over and over the goal being to smooth the barrel without doing any other damage.

crome moly barrels are just steel barrels with crome added into the steel when its in a liquid state. this adds to the hardness of the steel.

while a crome lined barrel is just what it says once the barrel is finished it is plated with crome.
You will never find a bench shooter with a crome lined barrel it impeeds accuracy However it does resist rusting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
would it not be better to use a mop brush and some abrasive bore cleaner to take the ruff spots out.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
So did you get your high master card shooting a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
35-year-old "Vietnam SEAL" at a gun show that "explains it" to everyone, and heck, he MUST be correct...  

-Troy

If he's 35 now, that means in 1969 he would have been how old, let's see 2004-1969 = .................................................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top