Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/18/2005 8:13:35 PM EST
Hi

I think I will be getting a kit soon. My research in the board suggests that J&T and
http://www.del-ton.com/

is the two that are safe.

I dont need to hear about M1

I hope to spend about $450 for the kit and get the LR for $100 locally.

What about a bushmaster kit, they have to be much more $$$?

This would be my first AR and first build.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:37:57 PM EST
Good job on the research! I'm not sure if BM even sells kits.I think a BM upper cost as much as you're willing to spend on the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:43:12 PM EST
Right , BM dont have kits, but you could buy the stuff and make one.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:25:24 PM EST
Buying individual parts can get expensive fast. It’s much more economical to get a complete kit.

I just put together a J-T Distributors kit and am very happy with it.

While not essential, I would suggest you get a chrome plated barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:03:47 AM EST
My J&T A2 kit went together with no problems and functioned fine 1st time to the range. Other than the small pitting in a few places under the finish of the upper receiver, places where the finish did not quite take (looks like a tool/vise pattern. shiney squares ), and the blued/purple compensator, it was a good kit. Minor cosmetic things I was not too worried about. Only see the flaws when you take a close look. It ain't a show piece/collectors item. Ended up with a functional shooter for a decent price when done.

Still doing barrel break in and ammo testing so (only have about 60 rounds through it so far) , too soon for me to give an accuracy verdict on it.

Overall, good kit for the price. I'm satisfied so far.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:28:53 AM EST
Ammetec lower on a JT-DS 4 kit. I couldnt be happier.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:09:00 AM EST
I have a J&T kit also but still waiting on my lower. I wasn't real happy about the high gloss finish of the lower parts kit. How bout you guys??
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:05:25 AM EST

I am pretty please with my Del-Ton kit. Haven't shot it yet, so I have no range report to give you at this point. One nice thing on Del-Ton: If you want the OD furniture on your build like I did, they don't charge you extra like some others (well, the RRA M4 stock did cost an extra $5 over the black - standard furniture is no extra charge)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:46:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By AnKhe105:
I have a J&T kit also but still waiting on my lower. I wasn't real happy about the high gloss finish of the lower parts kit. How bout you guys??

The appearance of my particular J&T kit is just about perfect. I got their OD furniture, which has a uniform matte finish. I did notice at their table at a recent gun show that some of their parts had cosmetic issues of one sort or another.

In particular, I was looking to buy one of their A-1 uppers and decided not get it solely because of its splotchy finish.

J&T seems to sell decent quality parts at a reasonable price. But they do appear to be hit-and-miss with appearance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:32:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By 199:

Originally Posted By AnKhe105:

The appearance of my particular J&T kit is just about perfect. I got their OD furniture, which has a uniform matte finish. I did notice at their table at a recent gun show that some of their parts had cosmetic issues of one sort or another.

In particular, I was looking to buy one of their A-1 uppers and decided not get it solely because of its splotchy finish.

J&T seems to sell decent quality parts at a reasonable price. But they do appear to be hit-and-miss with appearance.

My sincerest apologies to J&T. After my post, I went and took a closer look at my LPK. Do I feel like the idiot. After a bit of rubbing with a cloth, it seems the gloss went away. Funny how oil will do that! Stupid post!! Sorry!hock.gif
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:46 PM EST
+1 for del-ton. I got a kit from them about a year ago. It was my first as well. I am very happy with it. It looks great and went together very easy. It is very accurate as well!!! Del-Ton is a great compnay, they have a very good website and are great to talk to on the phone.
Top Top