Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2003 2:36:40 PM EDT
why are colt 20" pre ban uppers so cheap on ebay? i can buy them all day long for $300.00 less bolt carrier assm and c/h. these are 1/7 twist like new. is it cause everyone is making theirs into m4's/ BILLYXM15
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap and Colt in the same sentence, I was not aware those words even went together.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
why are colt 20" pre ban uppers so cheap on ebay? i can buy them all day long for $300.00 less bolt carrier assm and c/h. these are 1/7 twist like new. is it cause everyone is making theirs into m4's/ BILLYXM15
View Quote

I saw the ones you are talking about, In fact I even bid on one...it is very odd that there was no reserve - but then the seller can back for any number of reasons if he doesn't get the price he wants out of it. I'll watch to see how much they sell for. I am leery of an upper on ebay, they could be fakes. How hard would it be to put a colt barrel in a cheap chinese upper, and claim its a colt. I don;t know that I would be able to detect it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Aren't they Colt M16A1 uppers? That would explain the GI push-pin size, and their low price. I've been thinking of picking one up myself.

vanfunk
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Because that is approximately the going rate for the collection of parts themselves excluding the irrational mark up some people usually place on Colt items.[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aren't they Colt M16A1 uppers? That would explain the GI push-pin size, and their low price. I've been thinking of picking one up myself.

vanfunk
View Quote

If they have a 1in7 twist, they can't be A1 barrels, which were all 1in12. On the other hand, there are a bunch of A1 barrelled uppers out there at the moment, either GI surped out as all the A1s are being upgraded to A2 and M4 configuration, or dumped out by Colt to CDNN ([url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url])

My own attitude is that I buy only from recognized companies or from individuals only on THIS web site. While I've probably missed a bargain here or there, I've also never been ripped off by doing my internet shopping here and not on e bay. Let's face it; if you're patient, just about anything you might ever want, AR15 wise, is going to come up on the EE section of this site sooner or later[:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
i had a new (never fired) colt 20" preban upper from a blue label sporter on ebay last week. i put it on there because i didn't want an a2 upper. i took if off ebay because it was too nice to sell. i have to at least go out and shoot it. i started the auction at $200 and would have sold it for whatever the auction ended at, but it's new and i just couldn't part with it. i did see a lot of similar uppers for auction at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i had a new (never fired) colt 20" preban upper from a blue label sporter on ebay last week. i put it on there because i didn't want an a2 upper. i took if off ebay because it was too nice to sell. i have to at least go out and shoot it. i started the auction at $200 and would have sold it for whatever the auction ended at, but it's new and i just couldn't part with it. i did see a lot of similar uppers for auction at the same time.
View Quote

Keep it, Keep it, KEEP IT!!! I promise you, if you sell it, the day will come when you'll kick yourself for letting it go---probably a week or two after it's gone. [:D]

Sell off small parts, stock assemblies--sure.  you can always pick up another one. But barrels, recievers, major assemblies?  No way.

Learned my lesson the hard way. Sold off an SP1 upper reciever a few years back, b/c I'd put a forward assist upper on the piece.  This year I decided to build  an early M16 clone, and guess what? Had to pay twice as much as I got for that upper to get another smooth side piece.[;D]

Never again[:D]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Shameless promotion:

I have a slab side upper (CM) with a 20", pencil profile chrome lined barrel with A1 flash hider (barrel stamped "C MP B").  It has the round hand guards, not the triangle ones.  Thinking about selling it.  What would it be worth?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top