Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:05 PM EDT
I have a RRA 16'' r4 barrell mounted in a colt upper.  It has a new RRA bolt assembly in it also.  I am wanting to take the barrel off and remove the bolt, then install it into a new RRA flat top upper.  I got this colt this way but now I want to put the colt back original and assemble a RRA.  I will purchase the new upper, delta ring assembly and charging handle.  FYI a friend assembled it and I bought the gun to help him out.  It is in excellant condition.  I am new at this build it yourself thing but I have done some reading, here mostly,(which probably just makes me more dangerous).  

Question? Can I just dissassemble the parts and reassemble them the way I want them without checking headspace.  I am getting different answers and do not know what to do.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Headspace (HS) is the relationship between a given barrel (chamber datum point) and a given boltface. If the HS is good with your current configuration on the Colt upper receiver then you should be OK with changing the barrel and the bolt assembly to a new upper. For peace of mind I always recommend checking HS for safety reasons. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, do you know where i can purchase headspace guages? and are they easy to use?

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster has them in their catalog and on the website.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You can purchase the HS gauges from Brownells.com. You need a GO and a NOGO. Some people, not I, also believe you need a FIELD. Other people believe you need only a FIELD.

It probably would be cheaper to find a gunsmith/armorer to check the HS for you. Screen the gunsmith/armorer with the question 'do you work on AR's?'. If negative response keep looking.

I could do it for you but you would have to pay round trip shipping. I would do it for no fee as it really only takes me a few minutes.

Good luck. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the offer.  I will try and find one here in georgia but if i can't i may take you up on it.

Thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top