Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:23:09 PM EDT
i have a RRA collapsible stock on my RRA midlength, and i'd like to replace it with a standard A2 stock. i'm not quite sure whether i need just the buttstock assembly, or a full kit. any advice on brands to check out and max prices to pay for something like this would be great. i'm assuming there are thread(s) out there already, but i just couldn't track any down. thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2009 9:46:23 PM EDT by Bumblebee_Bob]
You will need a rifle length buffer tube, an extension, an A2 buttstock screw (which is longer than an A1 screw), the buttstock and a rifle length buffer and spring. In other words you'll need the full kit. I would go shopping in the Equipment Exchange (EE). Seems the last few I've seen have been in the ~$65 range.

About 2/3's way down this thread in the "Build it yourself" forum is a picture essay I did comparing the rifle length buttstocks. All buffer tubes are the same length and that's why you'll need the "extension" or "adapter" to fit the A2 stock.

Oh, yeah. When you remove the carbine buffer tube don't forget the buffer retainer is kept in the lower receiver by a spring. It will fly across the room if you're not careful. We've all done it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:23:06 AM EDT
If you don't have one, make sure you get a stock wrench to loosen the castle nut on your collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:53:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
Oh, yeah. When you remove the carbine buffer tube don't forget the buffer retainer is kept in the lower receiver by a spring. It will fly across the room if you're not careful. We've all done it.

Happened to me. Thankfully I was able to find the retainer and spring after about 5 minutes of searching.

To the OP, PK has a complete A2 stock kit available right now: http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_item.aspx?id=31&action=display
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:31:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigmoney327:
i have a RRA collapsible stock on my RRA midlength, and i'd like to replace it with a standard A2 stock. i'm not quite sure whether i need just the buttstock assembly, or a full kit. any advice on brands to check out and max prices to pay for something like this would be great. i'm assuming there are thread(s) out there already, but i just couldn't track any down. thanks!

I recently did this swap and bought the kit from RRA. You need the complete kit including the buffer tube and spring. (AR0074K A2 Buttstock Kit, Black or AR0074GK A2 Buttstock Kit, Green) The collapsing stock uses a shorter tube and spring.

Buy a heavy duty wrench. I used the DPMS version, but there are other good ones out there. Make sure you fabricate some kind of fixture to hold the tube AND NOT THE RECEIVER when you go to back off the castle nut on your collapsing stock. At least on mine, it was torqued down quite tightly and they used some sort of thread locking compound. I was surprised at the amount of force required to loosen the nut. Obviously you should hold the stock, and not the receiver again as you torque down the tube on your new A2 stock. I used a little loctite, but am not sure if that was necessary.

Top Top