Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
I just bought a new bushmaster, post-ban m4a3 with mini-y comp about a month ago. I went to go shoot it for the first time this weekend, and it is unbearably loud with that mini-y comp.

I am thinking of replacing the barrell, since the mini Y comp is pinned and would probably ruin the threads if I try to take it off.

I do a lot of coyote hunting and plinking, and it would be nice to not NEED to wear hearing protection all the time (I do when I am plinking, but its pretty stupid to wear earplugs when you are hunting).

I am looking at a 16" patrolmans carbine barrel to replace it, and will probably put a birdcage or phantom flash supressor on it. So what I would like to know is -

1. How difficult is it to replace the barrell, and what tools would I need? If I take it to a gunsmith to have it done, how much could I expect to have to pay?

2. I have read a lot about the mini-y comp being one of the loudest things around, how would you rate the noise of the phantom or birdcage on a 16" barrell compared to what I have now?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
You might want to look into a pair of active noise cancelling muffs. they work great for hunting and protect your ears.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:31:56 PM EDT
there are instructions on how to rebarrel your upper in the build it yourself section.

but what i would do is have the guys at ADCO ither cut or remove the y comp for something else.

you can find them in the industry board.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
if you pay shipping both ways I will change it for FREE. it will take my 15 min tops to swap it out no big deal . all i need is the upper
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:33:22 PM EDT
Thanks for the offer, I might look into doing that.

I dont mind replacing the barrel to make the rifle less of a post-ban anyways (not that it matters). I was planning on getting something for the AR this next payday anyways, and this sounds like something I might do.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:04:56 PM EDT
you can then sell off the post ban barrel or keep for a rainy day. the ak brakes are way to loud. If you want to sent it latter IM me I and I will send you my address.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:08:54 PM EDT
#1 - I don't see how you can avoid hearing protection - even a 24" barrel is too loud, it will damage your hearing

#2 - talk to Adco, but I'd probably rebarrel

#3 - like tools? I bought them and have been happily rebarreling ever since. It's nice to be able to do it, and it's pretty easy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:37:38 PM EDT
What I am thinking now is just getting a whole new upper, and keeping the other as a spare or something.

I know that they are going to be loud no matter what, but the noise that the mini-y comp produces is just rediculous.

Like I said before though, I dont mind wearing hearing protection at all when I am plinking and whatnot, but if I am out coyote hunting or something, I dont particularly like wearing ear plugs or ear defenders, but I dont want to do tone deaf after firing a few rounds either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:47:41 PM EDT
Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between CAR handguards and M4 handguards?

I ask because on easgle firearms, when you add the upper to the cart, you have a choice between the two, and the m4 handguards are more expensive.....

Just curious
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:07:57 PM EDT
m4 handguards are taller. I like them beeter but I have long fingers
Top Top