Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2008 4:40:21 PM EDT
i just bought my first ar 2 days ago. it's a century arms cl15 sportster. went to the gun show today and my wife ended up buying 2 new double star ar-15s. i just thought i'd share my opinion on the two. at first, i thought the century was an okay gun, but after dealing with the DS, it's junk. the quality overall is crap in comparison. the front sight is mangled from installation. the rear sight is rather loose. the junction between the upper and lower is pretty loose even with a wedge in it. the hand guard is kinda loose as well. after handling the double stars at the gun show, i realized how bad the century is. it shoots good and is probably decent for the money, but i'm definately a believer in spending a little more for the quality piece.

i read a few bad things about the century arms on the internet and on here, but didn't want to believe them. i guess for someone on a budget, it's not bad, but if you want some quality, shell out another couple hundred. i've already got it for sale on some local forums
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry you had to learn by experience. Double Star is really a great value for the money. Century has always been so so and hit or miss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I never owned or shot a Century AR-15. But looking at what they did the the first WASR I had, I wouldn't buy an AR15 from them. The WASR I have now is fine, but that's due more to the AK-47 design than to Century. In an AR-15, I wouldn't trust them.

I have heard nothing but positive things about DoubleStar.

ETA: I would never spend that little on an AR15 anyway, so neither one would matter to me.  The cheapest AR I would get would be a DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The Century AR15 lower receivers were actually OK because they were made by someone else, CMT I think.

Don't know about the rest of the rifle.

BTW looseness between the upper and lower receivers of an AR15/M16 has nothing to do with quality and is normal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8

ETA: I would never spend that little on an AR15 anyway, so neither one would matter to me.  The cheapest AR I would get would be a DPMS.

after going to the gun show today, i wouldn't say the double star is cheap. it's barely any cheaper than the dpms stuff and came highly recommended by the gun shop who deals tactical weapons to 17 different agencies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

BTW looseness between the upper and lower receivers of an AR15/M16 has nothing to do with quality and is normal.

i figured it was normal at first, but the 2 we got today are tight as can be. it just feels a lot more solid and sure-feeling
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

after going to the gun show today, i wouldn't say the double star is cheap. it's barely any cheaper than the dpms stuff and came highly recommended by the gun shop who deals tactical weapons to 17 different agencies.

That might have been just the high  gun show price. I know DPMS is pretty inexpensive. I haven't been to a gun show in a couple years (see my location) so I don't really know what current gun show prices are.

I do know that DPMS makes some great rifles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i figured it was normal at first, but the 2 we got today are tight as can be. it just feels a lot more solid and sure-feeling

Get over this feeling, its nice to have a wobble-free mating, but it's no indication of quality or reliability. As for the Century AR, is it works, it's more than good. Keep it as a beater gun, and if you can push it reliability wise and still have it work for you, I'd trust it over any out-of-the-box Colt. No praise is to high for a gun that has been personally tested to be 100% reliable. Rattly and loose parts mean nothing, if the gun works, it is all you could ask for.

That said if it malfs on you, toss it away and don't look back.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd trust it over any out-of-the-box Colt.

I don't know about that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Century over Colt?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Century is using a NEW lower receiver made for them not by them. They then add USED mil surplus parts to which they say are RECONDITIONED and brought to AR 15 specs. You get what you pay for and Century has almost nothing into the rifles.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a century a15 for sale at the last gunshow in my town.I was not too impressed and got a great deal on a Colt AR for under $900.The century a15 was rusted and scratched up.I asked if it was used but was told that it had been pulled out of the box in that condition.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Weird.  The Century AR15A2s are built from "new" surplus Colt parts kits and use CMT lowers and bolt carrier groups.  The handguards on several I have examined were Colt and even had the dabs of yellowish glue on the heat shield tabs.  The only thing Century did was ship them to the dealer.  They were 100% assembled and tested  by a reputable company in the AR word who does not wish to be mentioned (starts with C and ends with T and has one less letter than Colt).  I picked two up and both shoot great. Fit and finish are the same as any other AR.  If you own enough you will see that some are better than others- even Colts.  Sorry to hear yours is a lemon.  Where in Indiana are you?  I may be interested in taking yours off your hands.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know Century was selling ARs.  Run away.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Century over Colt?

Truth is Century didn't do anything to these rifles but stamp their name on them.  They are Colt but for the lowers.  It is possible with Century's reputation that just by stamping their name on the lowers the rifles are cursed......
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Century over Colt?

Truth is Century didn't do anything to these rifles but stamp their name on them.  They are Colt but for the lowers.  It is possible with Century's reputation that just by stamping their name on the lowers the rifles are cursed......

There is no way to know for sure that all the parts are Colt, unless they hav rollmarks or other obvious Ident factors, or that they are even ALL surplus part. Cheap small parts might not be that big a deal and cheap to replace, just sayin...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Century over Colt?

There is no way to know for sure that all the parts are Colt, unless they hav rollmarks or other obvious Ident factors, or that they are even ALL surplus part. Cheap small parts might not be that big a deal and cheap to replace, just sayin...

True, however these rifles were built from Colt M16A2 parts kit that were purchased by Century.  I have examined several and there is no doubt the uppers and barrels are Colt.  A few years back there were a lot of "new" M16A1 uppers around.  I think it was CDNN who bought the fist batch and later everyone had them.  Century bought the first batch of these and you will be seeing a bunch of Colt M16A2 uppers around soon.  Like with most things you should always check one out before buying.  There is a dealer around here who is known to remove Colt bolt carrier groups and replace them with ???.  He still charges the same and then sels the Colt groups for big $$.  You never know......
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
What brand lower is it?  I've heard both Olly and CMT....

Quoted:
i just bought my first ar 2 days ago. it's a century arms cl15 sportster.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd trust it over any out-of-the-box Colt.

I don't know about that.

If the rifle had been thoroughly inspected and shot with thousands of trouble free rounds (of various ammo types) through it, in harsh firing schedules and conditions, in other words, a 100% reliable weapon. Not saying the Colt isn't the better gun, but statistically, it would make more sense to take the reliable weapon over the unknown weapon. I'm not defending Century, they are a shitty Co. and they manage to screw up everything they put out, but a reliable gun is a reliable gun.

You may say the Colt will work 100% too, but there is a small, minuscule chance it may not.

In other words, 100% reliable Century AR > 99.99999% reliable Colt AR. See my case?

This has nothing to do with century or Colt, but rather the idea of proven v. unproven. Proven gear from crappy sources has a lot going for it, when weighing it against unproven gear from good sources.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Century over Colt?

That's not the case being made. The idea is a reliable weapon, even from the shoddiest of mfg's is still better than an unknown reliability gun from the best mfg.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I had not heard Olly was doing any of them.  If that is the case then all bets are off.  Even good parts can be screwed up.......
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Century over Colt?

That's not the case being made. The idea is a reliable weapon, even from the shoddiest of mfg's is still better than an unknown reliability gun from the best mfg.

You don't have to explain, I got your point, and it is valid.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
Weird.  The Century AR15A2s are built from "new" surplus Colt parts kits and use CMT lowers and bolt carrier groups.  The handguards on several I have examined were Colt and even had the dabs of yellowish glue on the heat shield tabs.  The only thing Century did was ship them to the dealer.  They were 100% assembled and tested  by a reputable company in the AR word who does not wish to be mentioned (starts with C and ends with T and has one less letter than Colt).  I picked two up and both shoot great. Fit and finish are the same as any other AR.  If you own enough you will see that some are better than others- even Colts.  Sorry to hear yours is a lemon.  Where in Indiana are you?  I may be interested in taking yours off your hands.

i'm in southern indiana, in jeffersonville. the century is made of quality parts, i know the majority of them are 100% colt. the lower is stamped century arms. seems to have quality parts, but the fit and finish just don't seem all that great. functionally, seems great.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i just bought my first ar 2 days ago. it's a century arms cl15 sportster.

The Century lower reciever I have is definitly CMT, and except for the markings on the side is identical to the two Rock River lowers at my house.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
The shop I worked for purchased one Century C-15 to evaluate.  It was a 20" A2.  Here's what came in.

The Bolt carrier group was all Colt as indicated by "C" on the carrier & "MPC" on bolt.  The BCG had seen extensive use.  The auto trip had been machined to an SP1 profile on the carrier and left "In the white" where the modification had taken place.  (This was unnecessary)  Also, the bottom of the carrier had been machined to an AR15 spec which was wholly unnecessary.

The upper receiver itself was Colt & showed significant use as indicated by wear @ the charge handle latch lock relief. The charge handle itself was refinished in a dull black.  The handguards were flimsy.  The FSB was suspicious to say the least.  I think it may have been Colt but, it had been removed and re-pinned to facilitate swapping the barrel out.  The pins were crudely installed and appeared to have been drilled over-sized w/ larger diameter pins installed.  The barrel was not Colt as there was no stamps present anywhere on it & it was not MIL-SPEC as it was a HBAR profile.  (No stamps such as "C MP 1/7" or "C MP Chrome Bore" or "C MP 1/7 HBAR" were present)

The lower receiver itslef looked fine.  The hammer was used w/ subtantial wear.  It had also been modified from M16 profile by removal of the auto sear catch being machined off and left "In the white".  The A2 stock was used & appeared in fair to good shape.  The buffer & spring was heavily used as indecated by wear to the face of the buffer.

Overall, I was less than impressed.  Not certain if they're putting out different models or different grades of ARs so I won't condemn CAI for trying.  The shelf price was $639 IIRC.  I'd value it @ around $400 tops.

Sly
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The shop I worked for purchased one Century C-15 to evaluate.  It was a 20" A2.  Here's what came in.

The Bolt carrier group was all Colt as indicated by "C" on the carrier & "MPC" on bolt.  The BCG had seen extensive use.  The auto trip had been machined to an SP1 profile on the carrier and left "In the white" where the modification had taken place.  (This was unnecessary)  Also, the bottom of the carrier had been machined to an AR15 spec which was wholly unnecessary.

The upper receiver itself was Colt & showed significant use as indicated by wear @ the charge handle latch lock relief. The charge handle itself was refinished in a dull black.  The handguards were flimsy.  The FSB was suspicious to say the least.  I think it may have been Colt but, it had been removed and re-pinned to facilitate swapping the barrel out.  The pins were crudely installed and appeared to have been drilled over-sized w/ larger diameter pins installed.  The barrel was not Colt as there was no stamps present anywhere on it & it was not MIL-SPEC as it was a HBAR profile.  (No stamps such as "C MP 1/7" or "C MP Chrome Bore" or "C MP 1/7 HBAR" were present)

The lower receiver itslef looked fine.  The hammer was used w/ subtantial wear.  It had also been modified from M16 profile by removal of the auto sear catch being machined off and left "In the white".  The A2 stock was used & appeared in fair to good shape.  The buffer & spring was heavily used as indecated by wear to the face of the buffer.

Overall, I was less than impressed.  Not certain if they're putting out different models or different grades of ARs so I won't condemn CAI for trying.  The shelf price was $639 IIRC.  I'd value it @ around $400 tops.

Sly

i agree 100% on your opinion on the centry ar15, i've seen stacks of them at gunshows, the ONLY thing you could tell was Colt the bolt/carrier they had "C" stamped on the side. the barrels had zero markings as were Colt has CMP 1/7 or 1/9 556 stamped on the barrels. POS handgaurds and the stocks seemed to light for Colt A2 stocks, the Colt stocks i've delt with were injected with some kind of foam to make them more solid. i've had 2 centry rifles and both are gone to sub-par POS's. i bought them before i learned more about firearms
Double Star/ J&T are an extremely good company and have a great reputation, i've biult many many rifle kits from them now and all are very very accurate and function 100%, the century ar15 looks and feels about as good as the crapthorne/blackthorne kits i've seen. good luck to the OP on your selection of rifles, i personally would buy a lower reciever and buy a quality rifle kit from J&T or Del-Ton then you could have something that was quality
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top