Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2010 8:52:30 AM EDT
I'm just curious as to how much,if any, carbon build-up is normal at your gas block. I never really noticed it until i painted my barrel and now there's a nice black carbon streak and build-up at the gas block. I did put a bcm middy barrel and troy gas block on my m4 recently, but I haven't had any problems with it. I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
According to most sources the carbon buildup is self limiting.  IE. when enough carbon builds up it flakes off.

I don't like a bunch of black shit on my bolt so I scrub it off.

Recently I have had luck soaking the carbon in CLP for 20 minutes then scraping it off with an abused 30cal brass brush.  Scrubbing at right angles to the long axis of the bolt while slowly rotating the bolt.

ETA. When soaking the carbon I place the bolt face down on a table and float a bead of CLP on the back of the bolt.  No need to waste a jar of CLP.

Also, don't forget to clean the inside of the bolt carrier, it usually has a bunch of carbon as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
so the build up on the barrel will eventually stop when it gets clogged is what you are saying
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
More or less.
How much leakage you get depends on how well fitting the gas block is on the barrel.
If it's loose you get a lot of leakage.

Eventually, the hard carbon will plug the gap and you can then clean the external areas off and won't see much if any more outside.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool i was thinkin it was something like that. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to most sources the carbon buildup is self limiting.  IE. when enough carbon builds up it flakes off.

I don't like a bunch of black shit on my bolt so I scrub it off.

Recently I have had luck soaking the carbon in CLP for 20 minutes then scraping it off with an abused 30cal brass brush.  Scrubbing at right angles to the long axis of the bolt while slowly rotating the bolt.

ETA. When soaking the carbon I place the bolt face down on a table and float a bead of CLP on the back of the bolt.  No need to waste a jar of CLP.

Also, don't forget to clean the inside of the bolt carrier, it usually has a bunch of carbon as well.

Good info for the bolt, but he was inquiring about the gas block.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top