Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 5:14:25 PM EDT
carbine length vs mid-length gas system on 16 in barrel? Is the amount of over gas so much on the carbine length that the gun will beat itself to death or is it an acceptable amount of gas? What are signs of over gassing?
 Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Both work,but I prefer mid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both work,but I prefer mid.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A properly built 16'' carbine length will run just fine and not be over gassed. A poorly built 16'' middy can be problematic and over gassed. It has a lot to do with the gas port diameter. You can usually tell if a rifle is over gassed by the ejection pattern and the recoil impulse. You can also go a step further and buy a bunch of buffers, carbine, h1, h2, h3 and do some experimenting. Try not to think so hard on the gas system as opposed to buying quality parts from people who know what they are doing. That said, I prefer 14.5 middy from bcm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A properly built 16'' carbine length will run just fine and not be over gassed. A poorly built 16'' middy can be problematic and over gassed.
View Quote

There is more to gas system function than the quantity of gas.

In the AR15 design, the timing of the gas impulse is also a factor.  Changing the gas port cannot change the timing - only the gas system length to barrel length proportion can do that.

Midlength is a better option for a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
fair enough
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
carbine length vs mid-length gas system on 16 in barrel? Is the amount of over gas so much on the carbine length that the gun will beat itself to death or is it an acceptable amount of gas? What are signs of over gassing?
 Thanks
View Quote

ALL AR15 DI systems are over-gassed.  ALL of them.  The design requires it.  There is more gas impulse than necessary to cycle the action, which allows the action to cycle reliably under adverse conditions or with different ammo types.

Whether it is carbine, rifle, or midlength gas system length, does not really have much bearing on whether the AR will be more or less over-gassed.  As said above, the length of the gas system has more to do with the timing of unlocking the bolt, and the length of barrel in front of the gas port, along with gas port size, have to do with the length of the gas impulse (dwell) and the amount of gas allowed into the DI system (port size).

This is all a relationship, and part of that relationship is the reciprocating mass (mass of the carrier and buffer) along with the action spring weight.

That's why it is important to buy from reputable manufacturers who understand, test, and design for these relationships when buying factory rifles.  When buying parts, it is goof to purchase from reputable manufacturers who will properly size the ports, ship quality buffers and springs, etc.

Even some well loved manufacturers WAY over-gas their components (or they get them this way from their suppliers) such a BCM (large gas ports).  I cant speak for why they do this but common perception is because they value reliability over less recoil impulse.... or they do this because so many shooters today use inexpensive underpowered non-milspec ammo (Wolf/Tula) which requires significant over-gassing to reliably run these out of spec ammunition types.

The biggest benefit of a midlength over carbine length gas system in a 16" barrel, is that there is a longer time for the initial gas impulse will take action on the carrier, unlocking the bolt and starting extraction, and a shorter dwell time due to less barrel length in front of the gas port.  This results in softer/easier extraction, and a softer overall recoil impulse, assuming gas port sizing remain constant for the standard size in that particular configuration.

Both systems can be tweaked, by adding heavier springs and buffers, or adjustable gas blocks.  Or just left alone if they work and the recoil impulse is not bothersome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ALL AR15 DI systems are over-gassed.  ALL of them.  The design requires it.  There is more gas impulse than necessary to cycle the action, which allows the action to cycle reliably under adverse conditions or with different ammo types.

Whether it is carbine, rifle, or midlength gas system length, does not really have much bearing on whether the AR will be more or less over-gassed.  As said above, the length of the gas system has more to do with the timing of unlocking the bolt, and the length of barrel in front of the gas port, along with gas port size, have to do with the length of the gas impulse (dwell) and the amount of gas allowed into the DI system (port size).

This is all a relationship, and part of that relationship is the reciprocating mass (mass of the carrier and buffer) along with the action spring weight.

That's why it is important to buy from reputable manufacturers who understand, test, and design for these relationships when buying factory rifles.  When buying parts, it is goof to purchase from reputable manufacturers who will properly size the ports, ship quality buffers and springs, etc.

Even some well loved manufacturers WAY over-gas their components (or they get them this way from their suppliers) such a BCM (large gas ports).  I cant speak for why they do this but common perception is because they value reliability over less recoil impulse.... or they do this because so many shooters today use inexpensive underpowered non-milspec ammo (Wolf/Tula) which requires significant over-gassing to reliably run these out of spec ammunition types.

The biggest benefit of a midlength over carbine length gas system in a 16" barrel, is that there is a longer time for the initial gas impulse will take action on the carrier, unlocking the bolt and starting extraction, and a shorter dwell time due to less barrel length in front of the gas port.  This results in softer/easier extraction, and a softer overall recoil impulse, assuming gas port sizing remain constant for the standard size in that particular configuration.

Both systems can be tweaked, by adding heavier springs and buffers, or adjustable gas blocks.  Or just left alone if they work and the recoil impulse is not bothersome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Thanks

My S&W works great and recoil is not bad I guess if it aint broke dont fix it
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Over gassed rifle may exhibit one of these symptoms...

Head swipe looks like a crescent shape gouged into the brass

and/or

Rounds ejecting forward of your firing position.

and/or

Case separation about 1/2" above case base.

and/or

primers popped out when fired.

Plus a variety of other indicators
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
idk about ejection pattern but I'm checking brass now and it looks clean
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go with a quality maker, that has enough insight to optimize the gas system of their rifles, either one would be better than either of a assembling company.

Many rifles are made overgassed to avoid the cheap underpowered (like steel cased) ammunition, or from failing when improperly maintained. Rifles for dummies.

An LMT MRP 16" barrel has a midlength gas system. That speaks to me, since it is their own innovative design and has proven itself pretty well.

The 14.5" MRP barrel is a carbine length gas system.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
People here LOVE this chart.

EDIT: Actually useful. I had an SPR type build that had a really hard initial pulse, especially for how heavy the rifle is. Also, it was throwing brass as far forward as I'd think possible. Since I didn't want the gun to beat itself, or me, to death; I replaced the YHM gasblock with an adjustable one from Seekins. Again, I'd bet YHM opened their gas block way up so that it wouldn't cause failures and get returned. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson Combat had done the same thing with the gas port on their barrel.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

EDIT: Actually useful. I had an SPR type build that had a really hard initial pulse, especially for how heavy the rifle is. Also, it was throwing brass as far forward as I'd think possible. Since I didn't want the gun to beat itself, or me, to death; I replaced the YHM gasblock with an adjustable one from Seekins. Again, I'd bet YHM opened their gas block way up so that it wouldn't cause failures and get returned. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson Combat had done the same thing with the gas port on their barrel.

http://i49.tinypic.com/kxg00.jpg
View Quote

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i49.tinypic.com/kxg00.jpg
View Quote

lol on the left side.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I think we can sum up all of your concerns...

1.  The M&P 15 Sport is a good rifle for the money spent.  Buy ammo, mags, and range time.  With the proper ammo, it will serve you well for target shooting, hunting, HD, and SHTF.  No need to wonder if you purchased a decent quality rifle.  If something is wrong with it, S&W will make it right.

2.  If you are going to shoot NATO spec 5.56 only, you could possibly benefit from a heavier buffer.  If you are going to shoot Tula, or .223, use the heaviest buffer that will run reliably with the weakest ammo you plan to use.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1.  The M&P 15 Sport is a good rifle for the money spent.  Buy ammo, mags, and range time.  With the proper ammo, it will serve you well for target shooting, hunting, HD, and SHTF.  No need to wonder if you purchased a decent quality rifle.  If something is wrong with it, S&W will make it right.

2.  If you are going to shoot NATO spec 5.56 only, you could possibly benefit from a heavier buffer.  If you are going to shoot Tula, or .223, use the heaviest buffer that will run reliably with the weakest ammo you plan to use.

View Quote

Thank you I am looking into getting an H buffer
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got my mid-length on an A2 upper. I really like the longer site radius and if I should ever have the need, I can put a bayonet on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#17]
No kidding damn
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd recommend getting an H3. You can swap out a tungsten weight for a steel weight to make it a H2 if it's to much buffer. (see pic below, obviously, a H3 is one with 3 tungsten weights)

It's not to get a better recoil impulse or stop the weapon from beating itself up, it's to make it function/cycle better. "better" means- a heavier buffer will delay bolt unlocking allowing chamber pressure to drop to a level that will allow more reliable extraction. A carbine gas system is more prone to these issues because the gas impulse reaches the carrier faster and if the port is on the larger side (over gassed) it exacerbates the issue.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW I've never had AR reliability issues until I started messing with buffer weights. Ymmv
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FWIW I've never had AR reliability issues until I started messing with buffer weights. Ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  If it reliably cycles all your ammo, it should probably be left alone unless it is being converted into a race gun, 3G competition or such.  Far better to be a little overgassed than to encounter reliability problems with ammo variations.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top