Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:30:12 PM EDT
i have the little green pouch thats like the usgi cleaning kit i guess and it comes with the rod and the copper wire brush thing to put on the end of it and a smaller brush for the gas tube and well i can never get the big one to fit down the barrel whenever i clean my gun so i just end up shoving the little on down it. Also i can never get it to fit when i have the cloth on the end of it. I brought home my friends 30-06 r700 once so i could clean it (i just wanted to get some expierence cleaning a different gun) and well i had a hell of a time even fitting the little brush down that big 30-06 barrel. This is a tedious process and it makes cleaning my gun an awful expierence every time. It might just be that the copper wires are new and need to go through a few times before easing up but id like to know what you guys think or should i just go out and buy a bore snake
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:50:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:52:08 PM EDT by BiggerStick47]
Which brush are you trying to shove down the barrel, the one on the left or the one on the right? Sounds like you are trying to force the chamber brush down the barrel. Don't do that.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:53:31 PM EDT by coolstuff]
the one on the left is for the chamber, the on on the right is for the bore.( before you walk into that one!!)

Prediction: this will end up with a big "Doh" by the OP
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:54:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 3:01:49 PM EDT by whiteing]
Reference the above picture:
A: Brush on the left is for cleaning the chamber/barrel extension. Screw it onto the rod with the handle, slide the handle over the rod. Inser another rod thru the hole in the handle, thus enabling you to turn the chamber brush.
B: Brush on the right is for the bore. Assemble your cleaning rod sections and attach this brush. Insert into the barrel thru the chamber. Push in and out at least ten times,
C: Patch Holder on the right, replce bore brush with the patch tip, run patches thru the bore until one comes out clean. Than use another patch with a small amount of oil and run thru bore again.
D: Toothbrush is used for cleaning around the gas tube, inside the upper receiver.
E: You will also need Q-tips for cleaning the lower receiver (NEVER DISASSEMBLE THE FIRE CONTROL GROUP. REMOVING THE PINS WILL EnLARGE THE PIN HOLES AND THAN YOU WILL NEED TO BUY ANTI-WALK PINS)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:22:17 PM EDT
Yep, there's no "gas Tube" brush!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:55:29 PM EDT
And the cloth goes in the eyelet. Not on the brush.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:43:52 AM EDT
ok thanks guys the guy i bought this from told me that the big one was for the bore and that the little one was for the gas tube well i never tried putting it through the gas tube and well i never but the big one through the bore ive always used the small one but anyways thank you
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:47:25 AM EDT
yea i knew the cloth went through the one on the right if thats what your saying
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:42:02 PM EDT
Yeah, sometimes the patches can be a little tough to run through if they get bunched up. If the cloth is too big then just trim it a little. Maybe a bore snake would be a little easier.

The bigger brush (aka chamber brush) is for cleaning the chamber where the round seats. Just stick it in like it's a round and spin it. The bigger bristles are for cleaning around the larger area around where the bolt lugs seat.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:01:47 AM EDT
A bore brush or patch/jag should be tight, but they shouldn't require excessive force. Don't go shoving stuff into your bore unless you want to pay a gunsmith to extract them for you.

Those GI kits are handy for emergency range use, but I'd recommend getting a coated Dewey rod and a bore guide for general barrel cleaning at home.
Top Top