Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:29:20 PM EDT
I swear it seems as though the peepholes are backwards on my troy, that I just received today. Im trying to figure out what I should do about this?

Do any of you know which way they are supposed to face, and/or have the link to the thread about it?

Thanks
Matt
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
cmon-someone has to remember this thread.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The flat side should face your eye.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
ok cool, I just couldnt remember what was said and was worried there was something wrong with my new sights.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I must have spaced this when it was discussed the first time.  All my gen2 Troy rears have the concave portion facing the eye.  Can it be switched around, or does the part need to be replaced?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I must have spaced this when it was discussed the first time.  All my gen2 Troy rears have the concave portion facing the eye.  Can it be switched around, or does the part need to be replaced?

they do not offer a replacement for it.

troy stated that it is suppose to face away from the eye but if iirc it was also concluded that, that was only said so they wouldnt have to replace nothing.

imo either way would have its pros/cons
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it was also concluded that, that was only said so they wouldnt have to replace nothing.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I swear it seems as though the peepholes are backwards on my troy, that I just received today. Im trying to figure out what I should do about this?

Thanks
Matt

My advise would be to leave them however they came from Troy and shoot the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it was also concluded that, that was only said so they wouldnt have to replace nothing.

what i meant was all the ones that posted concluded that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks
Matt

My advise would be to leave them however they came from Troy and shoot the hell out of them.

+1

i have yet to notice the difference
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Now we know the rest of the story...

The quote below was taken from another thread in which which the man(Coldblue) who actually specified the A2 sight's design gives his reasons for doing so.

Quoted:

Quoted:
ColdBlue,

BTW I know you had alot to do with the M16A2, just out of curiosity, why was the Dual Aperture rear peep made wrong ?

It was not "made wrong", it was made the way I told them (Colt) to make it.
I assume you refer to the eye-facing curvature of the small diameter peep?
If so, here is the story/rational.
Every M14 I had been issued had a rear peep that had very fine checkering applied in an effort to help prevent glare.  However, every one of these peeps was worn-shiny and needed to be smoked with a match or carbide lamp to gain a good sight picture.  Then I got to shoot a National Match M14 with its hodded peep sight and found that very nice indeed.  
So I told Colt that there was obviously "room" for such a hood on the developing A2's smaller peep and to change it from the flat they initially had (and gave them my sketch of a counter-bored "hooded-hole").  But they ended up using a radius cutter (because of time vs parts in-hand, a tight schedule, etc.) which gives the A2 its curvature.
Some shooters have mentioned to me that this arangement was ass-backwards, and that light may be reflecting back into your eye because of the curvature.  I have not had this experience.
I have inspected hundreds of A2's in the hands of troops and most of the time this inside radius surface is about the only surface on the rifle that remains dark and non-reflective, thus providing a nice dark rear aperture sight picture.  Of course that is because the surfice is recessed and does not get rubbed all the time.
Also, our main criteria improvement was "equal to or better that the M16A1 comparable part." So in testing and evaluation, the A2 style (even with Colt's radious cut) was the hands down favorite in the sight piture area.  You can prove this to yourself if you can shoot (not just aim, but try and hold & squeeze them) with both type sights side by side on the range.
Now all this is not to say I did not eventually want to see it changed.  And given the fact that the rear peep is a pretty easy part to replace, I thought a better (hooded) design would eventually emerge so I didn't stop the train to make this minor change at the last moment because there was too much risk involved as the test results supported the Marine Corps decision.  However, in the military, it has not even after 30 years...so what does that tell you?

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT for night crew...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top