Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/25/2006 1:03:20 PM EDT
I can't believe I am having difficulty with such a basic manuveur. I just received a new bolt carrier assembly and bolt from RRA. I have removed the retaining pin and firing pin. I have pulled the bolt back but I am unable to remove the cam pin because it will not clear the carrier key. Yes I have rotated the cam pin the usual 90 degrees but it will not clear the carrier key. I must be missing something basic but I'll be damned if I can firgure it out. Sorry for this bone head question. I am sure the answer is straight forward
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:25:27 PM EDT
Has this been a problem unique to RRA bolt carriers?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:32:00 PM EDT
My 1966 Colt SP1 had the same problem. This gun was in my Father's collection and until 18 months ago, the cam pin had never been removed. A little work with a jewelers file (slight bevel on cam pin upper edge) solved the problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 6:08:21 PM EDT by theshootersden]
On stubborn ones, I usually try working it loose and then pull it out... If that doesn't do it then Id slightly file the cam pin not the gas key as it is a bit easier... The gas key is also close to the guide rail and its hard to avoid damaging it...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:25:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:05:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 10:06:46 AM EDT by RABIDFOX50]
I had the same problem. All I did was remove alittle material from the gas key with a dremel to allow the cam pin to be removed. 2K later, not one problem with it. Works like a champ!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:34:50 AM EDT
I have the same problem, but it doesn't affect performance whatsoever. I have fired over a thousand rounds with zero malfunctions. After trying different cam pins, I realized that it was the carrier key. I bought it from Eagle Firearms and I think they use RRA parts; not sure though.

I contacted Eagle Firearms and they were more than willing to fix or replace it as needed, no questions asked. Excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:55:38 AM EDT
I have the same problem with my CMT bolt carrier.
The problem was the bolt.

I swapped in a new bolt and the cam pin drops in / comes out like butter. I did not file the gas key or touch the bolt carrier. A new bolt solved the problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:32:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

I swapped in a new bolt and the cam pin drops in / comes out like butter. I did not file the gas key or touch the bolt carrier. A new bolt solved the problem.

How did you get your cam pin out?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:35:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By demusn1979:

Originally Posted By metroplex:

How did you get your cam pin out?

I used a punch or tool to pry it out gently. It basically rubbed against the gas key, but the problem was the bolt and not the gas key. I suppose you could file down the gas key but after swapping out my bolt, it fit perfectly.
Top Top