Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 10:42:43 AM EDT
could you give your 2 cents...I'm buying a flat top ar to use for varmint hunting and punching paper at the range.  I demand accuracy from all my rifles so i guess thats most important to me.  I'm looking at a olympic arms 16 inch bull barrel and a bushmaster 24 inch varminter.  my current rock river A2nm (8 twist) shoots the heavy bullets very well and I would like to use 69-80 gr bullets in my varmint rifle.  oh well i could go on and on...lets see what u think
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm also trying to build a flat top and I decided on a 20" SS match barrel for my current project but I'm only going to build the upper for now, the lower will be built later on.

A 24" would be nice too but it depends if you can tolerate the extra weight.

Check out ADCO, they sell RRA varmint and other great performing barrels.

ADCO Firearms website link
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster is a very good rifle, and would more than likely meet your needs. I do think that the 24" barrel means that the rifle is limited.

If it were me I would go with a shorter barrel(18"-20") in stainless for a dedicated target/varmint rifle. I prefer a shorter barrel only because I don't see a huge advantage in the velocity gain of the 24", but I do think there is an advantage in the mobility and accuracy of a 18" or 20" SS barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the tip about ADCO they have some nice stuff.  Anyone use the 1:9 twist for the heavy bullets?  I have a 1:8 twist now and works fine.  I really want to use the 75 gr. A-max I hear its awsome.  What about chambers?  My rock river has a wylde chamber and feeds anything.  Any pro or con to olympic or bushy?  Sorry about taking so long to reply.  I have been reloading a had a stuck case.  I used the remover and then got another stuck case 3 later   Got online and ordered some redding dies ive had it with rcbs!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had no problems shooting 77gr blackhills ammo out of a Bushy 1:9 twist barrel, but it doesn't work for everyone. If you plan on the heavy bullets, I would stick with the 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrels. I prefer 1:7 because they can handle 55-80gr bullets with no problem. I would also go with the Wilde chamber for its versatility.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Adco's Designated Marksman M4 upper is 16" mid-length 1:8 SS barrel upper.  That would do the trick...

TS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top