Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2004 10:47:49 PM EDT
this board is the only place where i've heard this term?  what is it and how does one do it?  search didnt turn up anything for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump firing is when you hold a rifle loosely, at your side, and let your finger 'bump' the trigger during recoil.

Bumpfiring Video

Very wasteful, but addictive!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
hahah.  nice video.........is that you?

yeah a waste, but something i'd like to try at least once.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ........I MISSED!!

I think he was saying it is a waste of ammo and wear on your rifle.  I may be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Bump firing is ...
D U M B !!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Bumpfiring...   The ultimate act of a total LOSER WANNABEE!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bump firing is when you hold a rifle loosely, at your side, and let your finger 'bump' the trigger during recoil.

Bumpfiring Video

Very wasteful, but addictive!

Looks pretty unsafe to me. And stupid.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Just dont do it under water.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Cheap thrill.  

I can do it from the shoulder and keep it within about 3 FEET at 25 yards.  And get failures to cycle about half of the time.  

Not useful in any real way.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
hahah.  nice video.........is that you?

No, it's not me. It's a video I found with Google.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Bumpfiring maybe cool to some, but its the kind of crap that gives gun owners a bad name.  And makes the anti's go see he's got a machine gun, when all you have is a semi.  If you want full auto get the real deal.  Just my .2 worth.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Looks pretty unsafe to me. And stupid.

I try to suggest cap guns to Tards who find value in this activity.  Save ammo for the rest of us!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
That must mean I'm an ammo wasting Tard! But that's OK. I'm a poor pre-college aged kid who won't be able to afford NFA stuff for a few decades, so I gotta get cheap thrills somehow. And with a mountain as a backstop, it's sure hard to miss!

But as others have said, it has no practical purpose. So I spend most of my time getting "Minute of Dead" (as others have said) groups from 25 to 400 yards.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bump fire my AK's at least once everytime I take them out. Why would anybody here give a fuck whether somebody bump fires their gun. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, wasting ammo...if I bought it I'll waste all the ammo I want.

If some of you don't like doing it then don't do it. If some of you think I'm a tard for doing it then I guess I'd have to say that's the most assine thing I've heard on this site. I didn't realize that the anti's lurked around out in the desert to try and find someone bump firing. Give me fucking break.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
That video is from http://www.redstararms.com/

They are an AK firearm and accessory dealer, who generously supports the site (see Industry).

Oh, and they have other fun stuff to see on their site, too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]
People who are down on bump firing are more than likely the ones who cannot master it.It is a cheap thrill & must be done safely, but isn't that true about all types of shooting?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
People who are down on bump firing are more than likely the ones who cannot master it.It is a cheap thrill & must be done safely, but isn't that true about all types of shooting?

I'm down on it because I honestly think it is a waste of ammo (ammo = money), it is unnecessary wear and tear on your weapon and there is no real "skill" involved in it.  I  believe each shot has a mark to hit and I try to hit that mark every time.  It's amazing how cheap people try to be when it comes to equipment, but when it comes to burning up ammo, which once again ammo = money, they have no problem with that.  Bump away, it really doesn't bother me much.  You just won't see me doing it.  I get just as much thrill double tapping five or six consecutive targets, engaging two at a time, changing shooting position, engaging the next two, changing position and engaging the last two, and I have measurable results to judge my "skill" with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread reminds me of some of the posts in the car forums.  Anybody who takes their stock vehicle to the racetrack and runs it to 120mph is an idiot.  It's a total waste of gas.  Why not just go out and purchase a race car?

Does that make sense to say?

The way I see it, there is only one reason NOT to bumpfire your weapon.  And that's for safety reasons.  If you cannot fire your weapon safely (bumpfire or not), don't fire it.  Other than that, why on earth would you care what someone else does?

I also think it was mentioned bumpfiring in front of other people.  I am against that, too.  I'm not going to call you an idiot if you do, but I would PREFER not to be at the same shooting range (if I ever went to one) where someone was bumpfiring....for safety reasons.  It all goes back to safety.  Because I don't care if your barrel glows or if you go thru 2000 rds in 15 minutes or if you get a thrill from it.  I could give two sh*ts.  Because I know all AR owners are not going to use their weapons the way I want them to use it.  They will use it the way THEY want to.

So I have bumpfired and will continue to bumpfire and no one here (or anyone else for that matter) will know about it because I only bump when I'm on the moon.  That's nowhere in Kansas or Missouri but several places I go in Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado where you can see for 10 miles and the mountains rise to 6,000 feet and the canyons are a 1/2 mile across.  That way when I shooting into the side of a mountain, it's safe.  I don't practice at it to get good or do it all day long, but every now and again to break up the monotony.

Bumping is no different than shooting at tannerite.  As long as it's safe (and legal) go ahead.  Everyone here has inadvertantly bumped.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting reply posts..... "stupid", "dumb", "a waste","no pratical purpose", "get real NFA","wear on your rifle" and the worst one:...  "The ultimate act of a total LOSER WANNABEE!"

WTF ???

How is it stupid and or dumb? Really...... please explain HOW or WHAT makes it stupid or dumb.

I don't see how it's a waste, either way your gonna shoot that ammo, right?... yer just having a different kind of fun with it.

A lot of firearms stuff serves no pratical purpose to most shooters.. but it's out there and being done or purchased, its just fun to do or have and legal to. Kinda like you're post servers no practical purpose.

Well.... some people don't live in [NFA friendly states nor do they have $5-20K to spend on it. Do you? If so.. lend me some of those $$ so I can enjoy REAL NFA.

I don't see how it's extra wear on your rifle... if you bring 100 rds to shoot.. you're gonna shoot 100 rds. right? As long as you keep your weapon lubed.... no extra wear from some bump firing.  Not much different than pulling the trigger as fast as you can. Also... I've seen a lot of NFA guns outlast semi's.... please explain that one?

"The ultimate act of a total LOSER WANNABEE!" WTF??   How is someone enjoying there firearms by bump firing it being  "The ultimate act of a total LOSER WANNABEE!"  ? Im sure we all have shot our semi's as fast as we can pull the trigger before... is that also being a loser wannabee.? Maybe we shouldn't have anything byt blackpowder huh?  

Where do thes people come from who make these bodyless, idiotic posts?  Isn't it against the law to inbreed?  Maybe some IQ tests should be performed before these people can access the rest of the world via the internet.

PLEASE explain your posts...... one or two word bodyless statements are meaningless.... I could say you are stupid or dumb or a loser wannabe.. but unless I can show something backing it up some how... it means nothing. Just like some of your posts.

eWRXshun(or anyone)... if you wanna bump fire your weapon.. go for it, it's fun, but do it in a safe manner though. Don't let someone who is insecure and/or afraid in some way shape or form that will try to control your actions because they think it's dumb or whatever. Those people have issues to resolve within themselves.. disregard what they say,... don't cower in a corner  like some here would, standup and be strong, .... do what you want(legally).
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]

I've come to know some of the personalities that have commented here and I may be able to sum up their feelings, as I feel the same way.  Many here see the AR as a tool of war, not to be played with.  They train like they would fight, which would make them fight like they have trained, should the situation arise.  For some here, that situation has come and gone and they lived to fight another day because of their training.  Therefore, I have the feeling that every bullet that I send down range has a specific and intended target and I would like to judge my ability to meet that goal.

Plain and simple, bumpfiring is just sending rounds down range with no intent to hit anything.  Some here will claim to be able to hold "X" sized group when doing it, but I will call BS on that till the end of time.  

Picture this:  UBL brings urban guerilla warfare to the US soil, and firefights break out all over the country.  In the middle of an urban firefight, some idiot stands up to bumpfire his weapon, thinking the spray and pray method is the way to go to intimidate the enemy.  What's going to happen to this fool?  Will this happen, probably not, but some here train like it will, not because they necessarily want to but because their job requires them to - to keep the bumpfiring fools safe.

I claim not to be old enough to be old school, but more and more I find myself with a more practical approach to my rifles.  Maybe I'm an old man stuck in a middle aged man's body.  I don't treat my ARs like toys.  They are tools with an intended purpose and I treat them that way every time I practice with them.

Bump away, it's your money and your equipment, just appreciate what you have and what you may not have, should you do something like melt a gas tube, like someone here just did a little while ago.  Most of all, respect other shooters, because bumpfiring IS NOT a safe method of shooting and noone should be forced to be put in danger because of your actions.

Melted Gas Tube
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmm.. I wonder if the people who think bumpfiring is stupid would pass up a chance to shoot some Tannerite? . Bump firing, Tannerite, shooting up junk cars, etc. is kinda stupid but it's fun...

-sc
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Well I for one respect guns and their purpose, but part of that purpose is to have fun...and bump firing is fun. To be honest my 15 1/2 guns(I say 15 1/2 because my AR is half done) are mainly for fun, but the beauty of guns is that they serve a important roll in self defense if need be, but mainly for me it's recreation. So that being the case, I see nothing wrong with a little bump firing now and then. I don't go to ranges often and when I do I don't bump fire, but only when it endangers those near you more so than regular firing is it a problem.

If I had a Dodge Viper I would probaby just drive it most of the time, but knowing I had a 500hp V10 under the hood would make not flooring the thing every once in a while impossible. Owning military style guns is the same thing, knowing you have a 30rd mag or more makes it difficult to not let it rock-n-roll some times. If not, I'd get a single shot .22 or a using the car analogy a GEO Metro instead of the Viper if I thought of a car as nothing more than transportation and not something that is fun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
So being the Devil's advocate here - how far off is the assertation that by bumpfiring you are doing the act of a wannabe.

I'm real bored and don't have anything else to do except "have constructive dialog" here on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm doing the act of wanna be full auto because it's as close as I'll ever get to shooting full auto, but that's not retarded like some other dip shit claimed. Why do any of us want military style guns if very slow, accurate shooting was the ony thing we cared about? They make rifles better suited for that purpose than AR15's or any other military gun for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#27]
For every 1,000rounds I use, about 30 are used for bump firing. Its kinda like speeding down that little abandoned dirt road b your house... just getting it out of your system.

BTW I dont recommend trying to impress your friends with bump firing. I believe a nice, tight, 100yrd grouping is much more impressive
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]
You are not allowed to have any fun shooting. Everything must be training to kill.
Get a F'n life.
Theres nothing wrong withing having a little fun as long as safety is taken into consideration.

Some people would say practicing for war when your not in the military or LE is stupid too.
But lots of folks have FUN doing it.
FUN key word
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't have a problem with someone bumpfiring, as long as they don't do it at my local freaking range. At my local club, anything more "exciting" than a doubletap will cause the local LEOs to show up. There is a retirement community about a 1/4 mile away and they bitch long and loud about the noise. It doesn't matter that our club has been here since 1878-somehow their complaints take precedent

When I shoot every shot is an aimed shot, so bumping isn't for me. While I'm not exactly SWAT material I shoot to hone my skills, as opposed to just shooting for fun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Bumping rules!!!

But I guess I am just a "total LOSER WANNABEE!"

Piss off if you don't like it.. I don't look down on you for your "Precision aimed shots", and in turn all I ask is you don't look down on me for my sound of freedom!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I guess I'm doing the act of wanna be full auto because it's as close as I'll ever get to shooting full auto, but that's not retarded like some other dip shit claimed. Why do any of us want military style guns if very slow, accurate shooting was the ony thing we cared about? They make rifles better suited for that purpose than AR15's or any other military gun for that matter.

You can do fast accurate shooting with an AR as well. Just not from the hip. If its not accurate, its a waste.

I just think its dangerous to handle a weapon like that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Plain and simple, bumpfiring is just sending rounds down range with no intent to hit anything.  Some here will claim to be able to hold "X" sized group when doing it, but I will call BS on that till the end of time

You "every shot is an aimed shot" guys crack me up.  I suppose none of you own any 30 round mags.  Why would you?  You don't need them for slow firing at the range.  I guess flash hiders are out too.  They are only useful for preserving your night vision under sustained full auto fire.  No collapsible stocks either.  Cheek weld is better with a full stock.  I could go on  but whats the use.  You guys are the anal, stick up your ass, losers.

As for accuracy?  I live in California so buying NFA is not an option.  I like to practice from time to time bumping my AR.  Why not?  It's fun and yes, I can actually hold groups with it.  Here is a video someone posted a while back of a guy bumping an AR.  The final scene is him racing a full auto.  When I first saw it, I couldn't tell which one was which.  I'm not quite this good yet but I will keep practicing.

AR Bumpfire Video

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do fast accurate shooting with an AR as well. Just not from the hip. If its not accurate, its a waste.

I just think its dangerous to handle a weapon like that.

I don't understand your point. I bump fire somtimes. If anybody doesn't like it...FUCK OFF, like for sure....like totally. Bump firing kicks ass.

If you are afraid of "bump firing" and it sounds like some of you are, then for Gods sake don't scare the shit out of your selves, don't do it. But I will continue doing it and I really don't give a fuck what some of you think about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Telling someone else how to fire their weapon is the same as telling someone what weapon to get.

Bump firing for all..........
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've come to know some of the personalities that have commented here and I may be able to sum up their feelings, as I feel the same way.  Many here see the AR as a tool of war, not to be played with.  They train like they would fight, which would make them fight like they have trained, should the situation arise.  For some here, that situation has come and gone and they lived to fight another day because of their training.  Therefore, I have the feeling that every bullet that I send down range has a specific and intended target and I would like to judge my ability to meet that goal.

Plain and simple, bumpfiring is just sending rounds down range with no intent to hit anything.  Some here will claim to be able to hold "X" sized group when doing it, but I will call BS on that till the end of time.  

Picture this:  UBL brings urban guerilla warfare to the US soil, and firefights break out all over the country.  In the middle of an urban firefight, some idiot stands up to bumpfire his weapon, thinking the spray and pray method is the way to go to intimidate the enemy.  What's going to happen to this fool?  Will this happen, probably not, but some here train like it will, not because they necessarily want to but because their job requires them to - to keep the bumpfiring fools safe.

I claim not to be old enough to be old school, but more and more I find myself with a more practical approach to my rifles.  Maybe I'm an old man stuck in a middle aged man's body.  I don't treat my ARs like toys.  They are tools with an intended purpose and I treat them that way every time I practice with them.

Bump away, it's your money and your equipment, just appreciate what you have and what you may not have, should you do something like melt a gas tube, like someone here just did a little while ago.  Most of all, respect other shooters, because bumpfiring IS NOT a safe method of shooting and noone should be forced to be put in danger because of your actions.

Melted Gas Tube

Why don't you save your sanctimoniuos crap for someone who cares?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]
 At least you guys are entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why don't you save your sanctimoniuos sanctimonious crap for someone who cares?

I happen to care about Mongo's opinion. He has brought far more to this forum then say, you have.

If you're too thin-skinned to handle a dissenting opinion without throwing a tantrum then you might want to change your tampon and take a couple of Midol
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I still say bump firing rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again though, for those that get the shit scared out them about the mere thought of it...please, don't do it. Leave it up to the seaoned professionals like myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I still say bump firing rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again though, for those that get the shit scared out them about the mere thought of it...please, don't do it. Leave it up to the seaoned professionals like myself.

- scared of bump firing

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't bump fire,  get all the full auto fun I can handle periodically at work.

Wear and tear?  Melted gas tubes?  Gimme a f'n break!  
How much are these guys bump firing?  
Doesn't one shot wear just the same in full-auto as semi?

The most important argument I can see against it: Safety.
Most of the people I see at the range have enough trouble keeping their shots on paper firing their "aimed"  follow-up shots.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
How much are these guys bump firing?

In the above referenced link, the guy states he bumped one mag.  How fast were the first 120 rounds and how soon after that did he bump the mag??  Maybe it was just a junk tube, who knows.

Doesn't one shot wear just the same in full-auto as semi?

Once parts like the throat heat up to a certain temp, they wear faster.  A full auto barrel will not have as long a life as a semi-auto barrel.  Follow up shots at high temp will wear out a barrel faster, than if it were allowed to cool down between shots or maintained below a certain temp, what that temp is, I don't know.

The most important argument I can see against it: Safety.
Most of the people I see at the range have enough trouble keeping their shots on paper firing their "aimed"  follow-up shots.

Agreed on both.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I mean I'm not talking about bump firing 4 beta mags in a row. 30 shots, slow or not are the same wear on the gun. If an AR can't take bump shooting(I think they can) then maybe all the people that say AK's are superior are right. BTW, I've bump fired both my AK's numerous times and they don't complain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ok, I think bumpfiring is a waste.  I don't care one bit that anyone bumps, thus I quoted myself.  I take a more practical approach to weapons and their use.  Shooting matches, not just slow, high power matches, and showing actual skill with the weapon is what is fun to me.  It's been entertaining to say the least.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I just curious to know if anyone can bump fire an AR with a stock trigger setup?  I have bushmaster that I cannot bump fire.  But I can easily bump fire an AK. So if I wanted to bump fire my AR, do I need a new trigger setup?

AND YES, Bump firing is fun
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Come on Mongo...get to bumping...it's fun. And yes it has been entertaining to see some of these yahoo's freak out about it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just curious to know if anyone can bump fire an AR with a stock trigger setup?  I have bushmaster that I cannot bump fire.  But I can easily bump fire an AK. So if I wanted to bump fire my AR, do I need a new trigger setup?

AND YES, Bump firing is fun

I don't know, but I'll let you know as soon as my AR build is done. I've only bump fired AK's so far...oh yeah, and my Ruger 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

And thus ends another entertaining ARFCOM night.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top