Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:17:50 AM EDT
was wondering who makes a buis with windage and elevation adjustments? and you guys that have them, what do you think of them? cant decide on a aimpoint or eotech, leaning more towards the aimpoint if that matters. looks to me like the arms 40 just has windage, they seem pretty popular on here, do you guys that have them ever find yourself needing to get more elevation? have only owned and used A2 uppers till now( have a flat top RRA coming ) just trying to get a grasp on the buis thing.
sorry for the winded post

and thanks in advance for the info

tim
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I own an arms 40. It is a great BUIS, nice profile, eas of use..etc...For the distance I shoot with my AR (20-200m), I have my FSP set and if I need more, I use the FSP.

There are a few BUIS with elevation, but they are the A2 rear sights (just as big and clumpy) in a removable unit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
LaRue, DPMS, KAC..... I'm sure their's others.

(they mostly look like ya took a hacksaw to your detachable carry handle, leaving just the A2 rear portion)

Look in the EE, you'll find one or a dozen...

Mike

E.T.A. - all my BUIS are ARMS #40A2s, and elevation adjustments when required w/ them are done using the front sight post......
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
(they mostly look like ya took a hacksaw to your detachable carry handle, leaving just the A2 rear portion)

And that looks exactly like this……………

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're looking for a foldable one, the only one that I know of the Wilson Combat one. Not many people have it, so I don't know how they're rated.

I have a DPMS fixed sight that is just fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many fixed buis that have an elevation adjustment. I wanted a folding buis with elevation. The only one I found was the Wilson. It has a single aperature. Works great, but expensive
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Matech folding buis has windage and elevation adjustments.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Man, haven't you read the latest.............those are only available to the .gov. Any MATEC in civilian hands is stolen property!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have yet to see a good reason for a BUIS with an elevation adjustment. To 300m or more elevation adjustments don't matter, and beyond that I am unlikely to hit anything with iron sights unless I have a wind flag and a big bullseye anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, haven't you read the latest.............those are only available to the .gov. Any MATEC in civilian hands is stolen property!

YHM makes a lower profile smaller one as well. As I discovered while on the can and reading an older SGN.

Link
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
LaRue, DPMS, KAC..... I'm sure their's others.

Look in the EE, you'll find one or a dozen...

Mike

E.T.A. - all my BUIS are ARMS #40A2s, and elevation adjustments when required w/ them are done using the front sight post......

larue does not have elevation adjustments.

dpms
lmt

are two i know for sure have elev. but not really necessary for a back up iron sight imo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you really need both features in a back up iron sight?  Unless you're shooting high power who even bothers with the adjustments on the A2?  Since you are going to be shooting at no mag with optics you list, your target envelope isn't going to have just a whole lot of need for that anyway (0-200M).
I've used the KAC, ARMS, and CCH units.  After the initial BZO, I've never adjsuted any of them for windage or elevation.  
As a back up sight, it's not really intended for shots where you would have the time to dope the wind, estimate the range, apply the adjustments, make the shot, adjust fire, and return to BZO when you're done.  It's there to get you through when your optic craps out on you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Only folders I know of with elevation adjustments are the Wilson and KAC.  I have used the KAC.  Never did I ever adjust it after zeroing it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Agreed.

The BUIS is just that--a "back up" when your optic or battery craps out.

For CQB, zero the BUIS with your front fixed sight by adjusting the front sight post at 50 meters.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
KAC 600m

Like everyone else said, though, elevation adjustment isn't all that important in a BUIS.

I like the KAC 600m because it's compact and has only the small aperture. I don't have any use for the ghost ring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
If you intend to use good ammo your elevation adjustment wont match your rifles actual dope for the ranges on the BUIS.  It will be useless anyway so why even bother?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top