Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:39:12 AM EST

I am pretty confident that I am going to build my own ar some time within the next month or so. I am strongly looking at a model-1 20” standard model. I have not yet decided on a lower receiver but I am a college student on a bit of a budget so something in the 100-150 dollar range is what I am looking for. My questions are. Is the model 1 a decent gun for the money? I was look at an ASA kit but I heard horror stories about their function, and when I sent them an e-mail I didn’t get any reply so that tells me something about their customer service. What type of tools will I need to put together the lower? Are there any magazines that work better than others? Is it possible to later put a collapsible stock on the 20” riffle? Would that look cheesy? Thank you all in advance for the incite, this forum has been a life saver for me so far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:25:52 AM EST
I can relate. h2) I recommend the drift punch set from Bushmaster. As for the buttstock assembly, I'm not sure what type of tool, if any, is required for a fixed buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:42:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By snowborderlb:
What type of tools will I need to put together the lower? Are there any magazines that work better than others? Is it possible to later put a collapsible stock on the 20” riffle? Would that look cheesy? Thank you all in advance for the incite, this forum has been a life saver for me so far.

I'm a novice 1st timer as well. Vinh's drift punch recommendation is good avdice. I think a specialized tool is used to swap out buttstocks, but I'm not sure if it is 100% required. I've seen them for sale on various AR15 parts sales sites. Sure, a collapsing stock will look curious on a 20" rifle, but it will still work just as well. I plan to order a fully assembled Mega or Stinger Arms lower from www.carricozarmory.com since this is my 1st AR15. Model 1 and J&T seem to be good sources for all else.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:09:50 AM EST
Welcome to the site folks! I would go with a drift punch set from Sears, that way when you break your 1/16 punch they'll replace it free. A good gunsmithing hammer is also in order, I got a cheap brass one for like $10. So you are up to about $25 in tools.

I have previously put my lowers together, but I would suggest going to eaglefirearms.net and just buy a complete lower with stock. It saves a headache and possibly scratching or breaking your reciever. The Stag lowers are great, I have 2 myself. They are super helpful and friendly, and have a list of FFLs on file. I then would scour the EE to find a good new or used complete upper that suits your fancy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:37:55 PM EST
To assemble the lower kit the only specialized tools you need are the roll pin punches from Brownells.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551&title=ROLL+PIN+PUNCHES

3/32 is #3 Roll pin punch
item #230-100-003
#3 Roll Pin Punch $3.75

1/8 is #4 Roll pin punch
item #230-100-004
#4 Roll Pin Punch $3.83

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:14:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Vinh:
2) I recommend the drift punch set from Bushmaster. As for the buttstock assembly, I'm not sure what type of tool, if any, is required for a fixed buttstock.

Only a flathead screwdriver for the A2 stock. Installing the stock is not hard at all.

For the ultimate price savings you're probably looking for, I recommend getting a stripped lower and build it up from there. Not only do you get to learn how all the parts of the AR-15 interact with each other, you won't be kickin' yourself for paying so much if there is an issue with the complete lower.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:54:51 PM EST
has anyone had any problems with the model-1 16" c.a.r? what is the difference between the 16" c.a.r and the m-4 c.a.r? I am torn. I can't devide between the two. Thanks for all the good advice. Oh yea one more thing if I do go for the 16" c.a.r with the collapsible stock do i need to get the c.a.r wrench? It is only five dollars so it wont break the bank but is it needed?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:39:09 PM EST
If you are concerned about customer service I would check out this thread about Model 1 Sales.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277277

9 pages to date. Have fun reading through it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:16:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:45:01 AM EST
well its ordered. I went with the J&T 16C.A.R kit pre ban with the collapsable stock and the all those goodies. For the lower I spent the extra 20 dollars and went with the eagle arms stripped lower from tripple break products...J&T is getting ready for a show so it is going to be next week before i get the riffle. No i just get to sit and wait.
thanks again to everyone who gave their advice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:23:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tweak:
Save up your money and buy a factory rifle from Colt, RRA or BFI.

Is this response automatic or do you type it in each time?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:00:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:35:12 PM EST
Arschloch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:10:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:25:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By 89grand:

Originally Posted By Tweak:
Save up your money and buy a factory rifle from Colt, RRA or BFI.

Is this response automatic or do you type it in each time?

lol.
Top Top