Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 8:39:12 AM EDT

I am pretty confident that I am going to build my own ar some time within the next month or so.  I am strongly looking at a model-1 20” standard model.  I have not yet decided on a lower receiver but I am a college student on a bit of a budget so something in the 100-150 dollar range is what I am looking for.  My questions are.  Is the model 1 a decent gun for the money?  I was look at an ASA kit but I heard horror stories about their function, and when I sent them an e-mail I didn’t get any reply so that tells me something about their customer service.  What type of tools will I need to put together the lower?  Are there any magazines that work better than others?  Is it possible to later put a collapsible stock on the 20” riffle?  Would that look cheesy?  Thank you all in advance for the incite, this forum has been a life saver for me so far.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I can relate. h2) I recommend the drift punch set from Bushmaster. As for the buttstock assembly, I'm not sure what type of tool, if any, is required for a fixed buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What type of tools will I need to put together the lower?  Are there any magazines that work better than others?  Is it possible to later put a collapsible stock on the 20” riffle?  Would that look cheesy?  Thank you all in advance for the incite, this forum has been a life saver for me so far.  

I'm a novice 1st timer as well. Vinh's drift punch recommendation is good avdice. I think a specialized tool is used to swap out buttstocks, but I'm not sure if it is 100% required. I've seen them for sale on various AR15 parts sales sites. Sure, a collapsing stock will look curious on a 20" rifle, but it will still work just as well. I plan to order a fully assembled Mega or Stinger Arms lower from www.carricozarmory.com since this is my 1st AR15. Model 1 and J&T seem to be good sources for all else.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the site folks! I would go with a drift punch set from Sears, that way when you break your 1/16 punch they'll replace it free. A good gunsmithing hammer is also in order, I got a cheap brass one for like $10. So you are up to about $25 in tools.

I have previously put my lowers together, but I would suggest going to eaglefirearms.net and just buy a complete lower with stock. It saves a headache and possibly scratching or breaking your reciever. The Stag lowers are great, I have 2 myself. They are super helpful and friendly, and have a list of FFLs on file. I then would scour the EE to find a good new or used complete upper that suits your fancy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
To assemble the lower kit the only specialized tools you need are the roll pin punches from Brownells.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551&title=ROLL+PIN+PUNCHES

3/32 is #3 Roll pin punch
item #230-100-003
#3 Roll Pin Punch   $3.75

1/8 is #4 Roll pin punch
item #230-100-004
#4 Roll Pin Punch   $3.83

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
2) I recommend the drift punch set from Bushmaster. As for the buttstock assembly, I'm not sure what type of tool, if any, is required for a fixed buttstock.

Only a flathead screwdriver for the A2 stock.  Installing the stock is not hard at all.

For the ultimate price savings you're probably looking for, I recommend getting a stripped lower and build it up from there. Not only do you get to learn how all the parts of the AR-15 interact with each other, you won't be kickin' yourself for paying so much if there is an issue with the complete lower.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
has anyone had any problems with the model-1 16" c.a.r?  what is the difference between the 16" c.a.r and the m-4 c.a.r?  I am torn.  I can't devide between the two.  Thanks for all the good advice.  Oh yea one more thing if I do go for the 16" c.a.r with the collapsible stock do i need to get the c.a.r wrench?  It is only five dollars so it wont break the bank but is it needed?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are concerned about customer service I would check out this thread about Model 1 Sales.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277277

9 pages to date. Have fun reading through it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
well its ordered.  I went with the J&T 16C.A.R kit pre ban with the collapsable stock and the all those goodies.  For the lower I spent the extra 20 dollars and went with the eagle arms stripped lower from tripple break products...J&T is getting ready for a show so it is going to be next week before i get the riffle.  No i just get to sit and wait.  
thanks again to everyone who gave their advice.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Save up your money and buy a factory rifle from Colt, RRA or BFI.

Is this response automatic or do you type it in each time?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Arschloch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Save up your money and buy a factory rifle from Colt, RRA or BFI.

Is this response automatic or do you type it in each time?

lol.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top